We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

I’m taking a vacation in San Francisco in late March to introduce my girlfriend to the city. I've got the usual touristy things covered, no problem, but don’t want to do just these things.

I'm interested in the little-known, off-the-beaten-track, perhaps slightly quirky places you might have found. Restaurants, cafes, shops, museums, attractions, events, you know the thing.

Also, from any recent trips what shows, musicals, plays, gigs and clubs you would recommend.

Basically I'm looking for as much insider information as I can get! Absolutely anything. And don't worry too much about details, I can find them out myself.

Appreciate the help.

PS – We’re also going to Las Vegas and New York. So again, anything less well known, let me know.

Thank you.

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

Various walking tours at www.cityguides.org

YSL show at the DeYoung ... www.thinker.org

1906 EQ cabins in the Presidio

Bike ride over the GG Bridge to Sausilito

Beach Chalet

Do you like animals? See one of the best animal shelters in the country at Maddie's ... www.sfspca.org

Have fun!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

DO NOT miss this.....

An only in San Francisco experience.....

http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

Click on the link below and amongst all the suggestions you will find "The one thing you must do"____click on that and check it out and then click on the link of the original thread at bottom of that page and you might find some different ideas.

Have fun

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-s1/…20Do

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

"Artistic Luxury: Fabergé, Tiffany, Lalique" -- an international loan exhibition that reunites nearly 250 opulent objects from the Gilded Age -- makes its second and final appearance at San Francisco's Legion of Honor (February 7-May 31, 2009). Easter eggs by Fabergé (including Imperial ones owned by Princess Grace of Monaco) and jewelry designed for the Russian tsars and their families! Tiffany's Favrile glass vases and incomparable lamps! Lalique’s Art Nouveau designs for jewelry... stylized birds and insects, flora, mythical creatures! It was a thrill to see at CMA.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

Two summers ago, my husband & I visited SF for the second time. During my hours of research, I found an article that suggested breakfast at the Art Institute. Now, the food and the facility are nothing really notable, but the place has one of the best views in the city. We ate outside, enjoying the view, and even had a fly-over from the parrots. My husband was quite impressed that I had found this little-known place.

Just an idea--happy planning!

Suzy

www.sfai.edu Be sure that classes are in session or the restaurant won't be open.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
282 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

London,

There are millions of things to do and hundreds of great restaurants. I vivit SF twice a year, here is my favorite:

Sodini's (510 Green St.) in the North Beach area.

North Beach is loaded with tourist traps (I much dislike them). This is a locals place, you'd think you were in a London pub. Everyone is extra friendly, no pretentions here, and the prices are reasonable. They serve steaks, chops, fish, pizza, spaghetti, and a lot of Italian style dishes.

Just wanted to mention one favorite. If it were loaded with tourists, I would't go.

Richard

California

7. Re: Insider San Francisco Info Wanted...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 05:29