We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
8 posts
Save Topic
Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Hello

I will be in San Francisco from Sept. 14-19 and in wine country on the 20th and 21st. I do not want to rush wine country but I would love to start in Napa and drive north on 29 the first day(visiting Yountville, St Helena, etc), cut over to Healdsburg for the night and come back down 101 and do Sonoma the next day. I do want to visit a few wineries but I would rather take in the views, do the russian river valley, stop in small towns than try and cover a ton of wineries..5-7 would be plenty. Is this feasible??? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Hi Cowboy33-

Yes, I think this is feasible. I just visited the wine country last week for only 1 day and visited 5 wineries, of course, I didn't get to spend a lot of extra time exploring but it was still relaxing and we had a great day! We visited Sterling Winery, Beringer, V. Sattui, Neibaum-Coppola & Robert Mondavi. Check out the Napa/Sonoma forum as well, they are great help as well as this one. Have fun! Be sure and take layers, it does get chilly depending on where you are in the city.

Aurora, Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Your plan is very feasible. I spent the first week of my honeymoon in wine country. First, (and this is just MY opinion) Napa is overrated and too touristy. My wife and I just drove through and compared to the Sonoma Valley (where we stayed) the wineries seemed like some sort of amusement park. They have beautiful grounds but are made to attract the hordes. As far as Sonoma goes I can recommend a few small wineries/tasting rooms we tried and loved.

Russian Hill Estate Winery and Vineyards (Windsor) - small (it seems like you're visiting someone's home). Good wine, good views.

VJB (Windsor) - Tasting room. Good wine.

Porter Creek (Healdsburg) - REALLY small, but great wine.

Navillus Birney (Glen Ellen) - Small tasting room. Our favorite the entire time we were there. Outstanding wine and Al (the tasting room manager) is great!

Valley of the Moon (Glen Ellen) - Larger, but good wine.

Gundlach Bundschu (Sonoma) - Good wine, great views.

Homewood (Sonoma) - Small, very friendly and great wine.

Hope these help, Happy tasting!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Get the AAA map of wineries, it shows all the locations plus hours for tastings and which ones are free. Indispensible.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napa/Sonoma in 2 days???

Here's the secret to Napa: don't take highway 29. Take Silverado Trail. You will avoid most of the tourists and there are plenty of great wineries (I love the architecture at Clos Pegase, and Hess has a great art collection). If you need to get over to 29, take one of the crossroads, and then go back to Silverado. It's a totally different experience. Scenery is stunning. Drive throug Calistoga, avoid St. Helena - it's mobbed on the weekends. healdsburg and Sonoma are beautiful.