We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis

Hi....I'll be arriving in SFO this Tues evening and taking the BART to the Civic Center Station and i'm planning to take a taxi from there to my hotel on Lombard St.

My question is---are taxis easily accessible outside & around the Civic Center Station...or would I have to telephone for one?

It will be around 10PM when arriving at the Civic Center Station so i'm also concerned about safety issues. Is this station relatively safe at this hour if I have to wait around for a taxi to come?

Also if anyone can recommend a taxi co. if I would need to call for one, it's much appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis

Others will chime in, but if it was me at that time of night, I would take one of the shuttle vans such as SuperShuttle at the airport to provide you with door to door service to your hotel.

If I had to get off BART at night, I would prefer one of the other BART stations that are near major hotels where it would be easier and safer to get a taxi...maybe Montgomery or Embarcadero.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis

Thanks, so if I get off at the Embarcadero Station at that time of night it's much safer and better chances of getting a taxi quickly over Civic center Station?

I'm not a big fan of shuttles and would prefer to keep my travel costs down as much as possible which is why I prefer taking BART/taxi to my hotel.

Do cabs hang around the BART stations for passengers, or would it be a hassle trying to snag one at that late hour...10PM?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis

Definitely get off at Embarcadero Station. The Hyatt Regency is right at California St. where you'll reach street level. There is always a line of cabs there. It is quite a bit safer than Civic Center. Cabs don't hang around the BART stations otherwise.

Although at that time of night the shuttle vans probably will be relatively direct, you might get one that continues to circle the airport terminals until they have 2-4 dropoffs. It will be much quicker to grab BART.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis

Thanks RamblinSal...the line of cabs waiting at the Hyatt is exactly what I was looking/hoping for. Will definitely head there from the Embarcadero Station.

I originally chose the Civic Center stop thinking it would be the closest one farewise by taxi going to Lombard & Van ness St....but upon comparing with the Embarcadero Station now, it seems just about the same distance/fare anyways....and much safer.

One more question...At the Embarcadero Station, is there security in and around the area 10PMish?...Or would it be kind of deserted?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis

There is security inside the station (as well as the station agents). But probably not many passengers. Won't be many people on the street but the BART exit (pick the one that says California & Drumm Sts) will bring you up right at the cable car turnaround and the Hyatt Regency. You won't have to walk more than a few yards to the cab stand.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis

SuperShuttle is $17 for one person door to door service. BART plus taxi can't be too much cheaper.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis

Thanks once again RamblinSal...I made note of the California & Drumm St exiting for the cab stand which will be of much help!

fromdelmar....Yes, I calculated and Supershuttle would run about the same as taking BART/taxi....but as RamblinSal mentioned, with the shuttle, i'd probably be circling the airport a few times for others to pick up---and then there's the waiting to drop them off at their hotels if i'm not first....and at 10PM, all i'll want to do is get right to my hotel crash after traveling.

So it's my lack of patience that has me prefering the BART/taxi....and also I think some of the fun of traveling is using the public transportation of the place you're visiting, especially right when you get there for a genuine impression and feel of the place...and it's more adventurous!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis

fromdelmar is probably right but I'm with you cfr70. And some of those shuttle vans haven't had new shocks since the 20th century ... LOL!

Have a good trip!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis

Thanks RamblinSal...as a first time visitor, i'm sure to have an awesome time...and the weather thankfully looks to be great all of the coming week.

I was so afraid of January being "rainy season"--but it seems SF weather all month has been mostly sunny...is this unusual?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis

EXTREMELY! We've had record high temps for January. I walked around with a friend who was visiting from the UK last week and it was unbelievably gorgeous. Friday I was in GGPark and directed some visitors to the Academy. They were from Boston and said they'd been hoping for 60s but were blown away to get 70s!

Of course, you're not coming from 6' of snow but you'll still enjoy!