We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in San Francisco

I need an honest advice. I'm not a big fan of driving in crazy places. I heard driving in SFO is really horrid. I'm not from that side of the country. I'm gonna have to drive from SFO airport to Palo Alto. Directions say it's ~25 miles, all on highway US-101.

So, my questions to you:

- How rough is driving on that road? Are people crazy drivers...aggressive?

- When is the rush hour on this highway?

- Any advices?

Thank you.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Driving around San Francisco is a pain, but going down 101 between the airport and Palo Alto is no different than driving around any Atlanta area freeway.

I'd say the worst parts of the rush hour are approximately 7-9 AM, and 4:30-6:30 PM.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in San Francisco

You can check traffic real time here: www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Region=Bay+Area

Although I haven't made that drive in a few years, I've never heard anything about a "crazy" or "horrid" condition there.

san francisco
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Driving from SFO to Palo Alto will be no problem.

SFO isnt really near the "busy" part of the city. The one way streets in the city can be stressful for visitors. I think the parking is what people hate the most.

But none of that will be an issue for you.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Compared to LA driving in San Fransisco is like a country lane.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in San Francisco

I agree with all previous posters. Further, if you have a bit of extra time, from the airport connect to I380 west then I280 south. I280 is a very scenic and not overly trafficed stretch of road. Either Sand Hill Road or Page Mill Rd off I280 will get you to Palo Alto.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Yes, take RamblinSal's advice.

The 280 freeway has been called "the most beautiful freeway in the world. It runs in the foothills between the Peninsula and the coast range. It is not congested with traffic, as 101 often is.

To be specific, get on 380, which is just north of the airport and it will take you up to 280, then follow the advice on where to get off to get to Palo Alto.

Enjoy the drive !

Atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Thank you, everyone, for all your advices.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Be careful of the many "no left turn" intersections - we had our rental car for about 30 seconds before we got pulled over for turning left when we weren't supposed to!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in San Francisco

That must be driving in the city? It sounds as if mon82 will only be driving from the airport to Palo Alto, but if he does end up bringing the car back and going into the city you give good advice.

When we go to the city for weekends, we have to drive in for lack of public transportation to get there, but then we just park the car and walk or take a bus or a taxi. It is no fun to drive in San Francisco. At least for me :~)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in San Francisco

Puter -- amen to that. I drive once or twice a month and wouldn't even do it that much if I didn't have to buy heavy groceries every once in a while. Driving in the city is no fun -- parking even less so!