We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit Sausalito?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Should I visit Sausalito?

I'll be in San Francisco for about 4 days and Sausalito looks like it could be a nice spot to visit.

I haven't really decided as yet what I will do during my time in the city, it's my first visit so probably some of the usual tourist things like Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, etc.

I believe you can take a ferry to Sausalito. Would this be the best way?

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

Sure. Take the ferry over to Sausalito and have lunch at a cafe with a great view of San Francisco. I know that you will have a view of the Bay and the city if you take the Alcatraz tour, but if you have some time, do go to Sausalito and browse around.

However, you should probably decide if you are interested in some other things, like the brand new spiffy Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park and the Japanese Tea Garden there, and the view from the tower of the De Young Museum (no cost to ride up).

Do you have a guide book to help you decide?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

Absolutely.

Go across by Ferry from Fishermans Wharf or from The Ferry Building.

www.blueandgoldfleet.com

www.goldengateferry.org/schedules/

I have just this minute finished telling a friend that she should go to Horizons restaurant and sit on their deck and enjoy the great view back across the bay to the city.

www.horizonssausalito.com

Find out more here

www.sausalito.org

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

No I haven't purchased a guide book. I have mostly been researching online.

The Japanese Tea Garden looks lovely.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

Have you checked out the list of "Things to Do" from the left side of the screen? That'll give you a good start but a guidebook can be helpful as well.

Many people rent bicycles and ride along the bay and across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and then catch the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. There are a number of firms that rent bikes in the FW area.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

It wouldn't be at, or near the top of my list for first time visitors. The ferry ride is the best part, the town itself is kind of ho-hum for me.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

Is the bike ride a long ride across?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

The bicycle ride from Fisherman's Wharf to the ferry landing in Sausalito via the Golden Gate Bridge is about 8 miles long, which is very reasonable. On a clear day, such as today, the ride is one of the nicest things to do in the entire Bay Area! See www.blazingsaddles.com/sf_bike_ride_maps.html for details.

I agree that Sausalito itself is very unremarkable, catering to high end tourists with art galleries in the vein of Thomas Kinkade. Also, the restaurants are overpriced. But it's still an interesting place to see!

P.S. If you're feeling energetic, consider riding all the way to Tiburon. Only the Blue & Gold Fleet stops there, but the weekday ferry schedule out of Tiburon is not so bad.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,836 posts
1,914 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

You can spend a diverting few hours in Sausalito and I did enjoy the place. I would not take a bike ride (personally) but the ferry option would be fun.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
340 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

How long (and strenuous) would the bike ride from the Wharf, across the bridge and down to the Sausalito ferry station be? We're considering it, too. Unless it's a long, exhausting sojourn in which case we'll just eat more chowder and drink ;-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I visit Sausalito?

As davdaven indicated, the ride is about 7-8 miles. On the SF side it's mostly off city streets and mostly flat. One bit of a hill through Ft. Mason and one more up to the bridge deck.

On the north side there's one more hill from bay level up a hill and then into Sausalito. Traffic on that side is quite light also.

Many visitors do it (check the TA reviews for Blazing Saddles and there's another firm as well). The bike rental companies will provide bikes, helmets, locks, maps etc.