We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO Airport Shuttles

Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
SFO Airport Shuttles

I'm looking for an airport shuttle service to transport 2 adults from SFO to our hotel in Union Square after we return from Hawaii. We need this service in May 2009 (I like to plan ahead).

We are scheduled to land after 10 pm (PDT) so we need a shuttle service that is not a 9-5 service and we don't mind making an advanced reservation.

Any references, costs, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

There are a number of door-to-door van companies operating at SFO. Some people like to book one in advance and others just head to the shuttle area (the island at the departure level) and catch the first one heading out.

My issue with all of them is that they want to fill up the van before heading to the city. I have circled the terminals more than once as the van looks for additional customers. And although many say "no more than 3 stops" that's not always true either.

The price is $17-20 per person (although many of the websites have coupons). A cab at that time of night would be about $40-45 which is what I'd do if I was landing at 10PM and heading to Union Square.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

NJ--contact your hotel's concierge and they'll be able to provide you with the best options. There are many; just depends upon your priorities like cost and time.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

Super Shuttle is the price Ramblin Sal has mentioned.

You can do it cheaper with Lorries (GOSFOVAN) $28 return.

I think I agree with Sal and a cab might be the way to go.

www.supershuttle.com

www.gosfovan.com

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

We were originally going to pre-book a shuttle service, but glad we didn't. Our flight was delayed and we arrived at 11:00 p.m. We were exhausted from the day of sitting around airports and we were very happy to walk to the "TAXI LINE" and be in a car immediately and driven directly to our hotel It cost $40-$45 I believe with tip, but well worth it. I would have been calling long distance to change the time of the shuttle pick-up etc. No worry about over-crowding with other suitcases etc.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

I would not recommend booking a shuttle service in advance. There are many choices, and if your flight is delayed, you will have fewer headaches.

Also, you should consider BART (http://www.bart.gov). BART picks up in the International Terminal, and the Powell station is just a couple blocks south of Union Square. Trains come every 15 minutes, and the last BART train runs after midnight.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

Excuse me, the last train of the night is at 11:53 PM. The ride costs $5.35 per person and takes 29 minutes. You'll find that the shuttle vans aren't much faster than that!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

When you prebook a shuttle , you don't have to advise them if you are running late____they don't care. Just jump on the first shuttle (with the company you booked with) and as long as you have your printed confirmation you will be fine.

Having said that Marilyn42 I think did the best thing at that time of night____take a cab and get there quickly and directly.

Mount Laurel, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

Thank you all for your advice! We won't pre-book and just "wing it" when we get to the SFO airport. We weren't sure about a taxi because between the two of us, there will be 4 suitcases + carry on. We figured at that time of night, the shuttles won't have that many passengers but you might be right, they could drive around the airport for a 1/2 hour until they find some more passengers and by that time, the taxi could be at the hotel by then.

By the way, we are staying at the Hotel Rex and I've heard some good things about this hotel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

Are you staying more than 2 nights? Did you sign up for a Greeter?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SFO Airport Shuttles

Thanks for the correction, Oskar. I am in such a habit of taking BART these days that I don't even realize this sort of thing!

NJ Steve - That's a sizable amount of luggage. You won't have trouble fitting it onto BART, but it may be a bit of a hassle. Taxi may be the way to go, unless you find a shuttle *leaving* right when you get there.