We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

Hi! We're going to take our 7 & 9 year old children to San Francisco for the 1st time the first week in April.

1) Can you please recommend some fun activities for children - ages 7 & 9.

2) I'm going to bid on priceline to get the hotel. Which part of the city (Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square East or Union Square West/Nob Hill) would you recommend based on the kids activities above.

Thanks for your help! We're really looking forward to this trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

We will probably be there 3-4 days.

Someone mentioned hotel parking can be $50/night. Is that right? Wow! That's expensive. We were going to try to bid on priceline for a 3-4* hotel, hopefully under $100/night if we're lucky. I still need help about which location in the city would be the best.

Thanks!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

Yes, 39-50. is usual. There are some motor inns that people recommend--I'm sure they'll chime in.

People are traveling a lot less right now. Start with a 4 star and under 100.00.

Rancho Palos Verdes
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

We've got two kids, 6 and 9, and we're taking a trip to San Francisco as well. My wife and I used to live in the Bay Area, so we're looking forward to taking the kids sightseeing.

We're definitely going to check out the Academy of Sciences, and riding the cable cars. As we'll be in the Fairfield area, we're stopping at the Jelly Belly factory, too.

Other things we're considering doing are a visit to a fortune cookie factory, a Giants baseball game, and probably a boat ride or ferry. I'm interested in Alcatraz, but the wife and kids don't have much interest.

Because of our activities, we're staying at the Wharf. We got the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf for $65/ night from priceline. I think parking is $45/ night.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

With the children you probably want to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area where they can see the sea lions, explore Pier 39, etc.

Yes, parking is expensive, but I can recommend two places where the parking is included.

If you want to be right in the heart of things, the Wharf Inn has free parking....

http://www.wharfinn.com/

My other choice would be Columbus Motor Inn, on a quiet tree-lined section of Columbus Avenue where you can walk to Fisherman's Wharf.

http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/

The problem with doing Priceline is that you can't guarantee getting two beds to sleep 4 people and you will not know the parking fees. Also, there is no changing your mind, once you pay you have paid.

Look at the two I gave you and see if they work for you.

It probably would be worth it to pay the hotel rates and deal with them directly and not have some nasty surprises just to get a "bargain" from Priceline. If you were just a couple, I would say go for it, but with the children I would not take a chance.

I would also definitely take the children to the Exploratorium. You may never get them out of there. Don't miss it.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

I hope this is good advice. Let us know what you decide. And have a great trip.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,046 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

OK...we were posting at about the same time. It sounds as if you got a good hotel rate at the Hyatt. Do check with them, since it is a Priceline deal, about the beds.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

They will love riding the Cable Car!

If you're at Union square, ride the elevator at the St. Francis. They are outside elevators, and there's a great view if you take it to the top. It's a little scary but really fun! The kids also might like the elevators at the Hyatt by Fisherman's Wharf. I know it sounds dorky, but it's really fun!

It's also fun watching the sea lions at pier 39. There's a lot of good street performers as well. Stop by the window at the boudin bakery-you can see them making bread, often in cool shapes of animals, like turtles.

Fort Point is great-its a fort underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. If you're in that area, check out Point Bonita, a lighthouse on the beautiful Marin headlands. It's small but its a nice walk over.

Another adventure if you have time is taking the ferry to Sausalito-they have some great places for lunch.

Academy of Sciences is great but avoid it on the weekend. It just reopened and it can get really crowded. The Exploratorium is fun as well but pricey.

Be sure to stop at Ghiradelli. I recommend the cable car-chocolate chip, chocolate, and rocky road ice cream covered in whipped cream and hot fudge!

Have fun! I love this city!

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

your kids may be interested in visiting the cable car barn,where the wheel for the cable they use is located,along with old cable cars.

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/info.html

it is free. they may also enjoy the Exploratorium,and you will also. http://www.exploratorium.edu/

and hyde street pier has actvities for kids:

http://www.nps.gov/safr/

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

Columbus Motor Inn has two room family suites that are cheaper than most other hotels regular rooms. The parking is included as well. They are clean and spacious... downside, no on site amenities, no restaurant, etc.. but everything is in walking distance.

The bus to the Exploritorium (a must by the way) is right across the street, the cable cars and f-line trolleys are 2 blocks away and you can walk to the cannery or fisherman's wharf.

My kids love San Francisco - here are some of there favorites tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16048-San_Fran…

The Jelly Belly Factory is about an hour out - but a lot of fun - go during the week though as weekends the machines are not working and you just watch the video.

Have a great trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

WOW! You guys are wonderful! Thank you.

Someone suggested the Citipass which seems like a great deal. $59/adults, $44/kids for 7 days muni& cable car passport, Cal Academy of Sciences, Exporatorium, Blue & Gold Ferry, Aquarium, etc admissions included. You can look into it at citypass.com.

I hope this helps save money.

10. Re: SF - Fun kids activities & which party of city to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 12:25