We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car in san francisco

4 posts
Save Topic
renting a car in san francisco

4 people from slovenia are planning a trip in usa.

we are planning to rent a car: our pick-up location will be san francisco (we prefer to pick-up the car in the city because is more cheaper than in airport) and drop-off location chicago (also in city).

we are going to rent a car for 21 days from 7.May to 28.May 2009 (we are planning to do ROUTE 66). And because our drop-off location will be different, you must pay also for extra money.

so I'm asking for advices which car rental agency has the lower price for renting a car, and what category of car would you reccomend me for this trip (ROUTE 66 for 4 people).

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car in san francisco

Have a look at www.orbitz.com. They will list all the rental companies with cars available from San Francisco with drop off in Chicago.

Choose a midsize or larger car for 4 people with the luggage.

The best rates look to be around $1400 for Full size car with NO drop off charges from Alamo.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car in san francisco

Also try www.kayak.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car in san francisco

For 4 adults spending 3 weeks on the road you really need to look at an SUV. You will appreciate the extra space, especially for luggage (unless you all travel light)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
273 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car in san francisco

tHE BEST thing is TO PICK UP the vehicle the day you leave San Francisco.The truth is really that "San Francisco" is a public transportation type of city.

Just having a rent a car while staying in San Francisco is senseless.An Explorer or suv wagon is a consideration.I would forget about renting a budget econo car on a journey like yours which sounds great!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,507 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car in san francisco

I would also suggest an SUV, although they will be a bit more expensive. For your long drive you'll need room and comfort!

Agree don't get the car until you are ready to leave the city.

If you need other help with your travel planning, please feel free to start another thread on this forums as well as Arizona and all other states you'll be travelling through. I have driven a little bit of Route 66 in Arizona and I'm sure you will have a great time!

6. Re: renting a car in san francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:22