We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non air conditioned rooms in san fran

Level Contributor
118 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
non air conditioned rooms in san fran

am i just looking at the wrong places or do a lot of the "boutique" hotels in san fran not have air conditioning?

isn't it uncomfortable? do the windows open? isn't there a lot of noise and fumes?

Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non air conditioned rooms in san fran

Many of the older hotels in San Francisco don't have air conditioning because it isn't needed. Generally the temps are moderate to cool and it rarely gets hot. Temperatures vary during the day, but it usually doesn't get any warmer than the mid-70's. It can be much cooler than that, though, and it gets cooler at night (be sure to bring a jacket or sweater and dress in layers).

The windows in the older hotels I've stayed in do open. You can hear the cable cars clanking by (something I enjoy) and there can be street noise (depending on where you're staying and where your room is located). I think San Francisco is much quieter than where I live but the noise does appear to both some folks who are accustomed to a quieter environment.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: non air conditioned rooms in san fran

Considering that average summer temperatures in San Francisco are around 72 degrees F, air conditioning is hardly necessary

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: non air conditioned rooms in san fran

It is rarely above 75 or so degrees, even in summer and a/c really isn't needed. A fan does just fine. In some buildings, the windows open, in others, you simply use a fan.

I live here and the noise doesn't bother me at all. In *any* city, if you live/stay right in the heart of it, you're going to get city noise with the windows open or closed...

Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: non air conditioned rooms in san fran

I've stayed at a lot of Boutiques without air conditioning. I've only had one room that was a bit unbareable. That was at the Cornell - cute cozy rooms but boy it was it warm. The one window in our room faced the middle of the hotel. It was right next to a window near elevator. We could hear every person in the hall and they could hear us. I called the front desk and they gave us a fan.....it helped.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor