We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
são paulo, brasil
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

It´s gonna be the end of our (me and my wife) 2-week trip thru California, by car.

As we're gonna be with a car, it would be interesting to have parking facilities wherever we stay (if possible).

But we'd like to be in a nice neighbourhood, with easy access with the areas of interest of the city, even if by public transportation, not necessarily walking distance.

Any suggestions are greatly apreciated, as I really have no clue from where to begin looking at...

Thanks and regards

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

If San Francisco is the end of your trip, I would suggest that you turn in your car when you arrive. SF is very easy to get around in by foot and public transit that a car is unnecessary and, actually inconvenient. Parking is expensive, or difficult to find.

There are places to stay that include parking but they are located more on the fringe, not in the middle of the things you'll want to see.

How long will you be in SF and what's your approximately budget?

são paulo, brasil
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

Hello RamblinSal,

We´ll stay 4 nights in San Francisco - May 26 to 30.

I'd like to spend no more than $80/night. I usually use Hotwire or Priceline for booking my Hotels...

These locations you mentioned with parking are too far from the center? are they well served by public transportation as well?

Thanks!

são paulo, brasil
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

Leaving the car in some kind of public parking is a possibility? Is there such a thing?

Because, although I think we wont really use the car in San Francisco as tou said, I had it rented for the whole period (2 weeks) and I'd like to have the option of getting the car to explore the parks and landscape across the Golden Gate for instance, or even go to an Outlet Mall...

Any thoughts on that?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

Columbus Motor Inn offers free parking - good neighborhood and very reasonable rates. Nothing fancy - but clean and convenient. Walkable to many tourist places and easy access to the buses, f-line trolleys and cable cars.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

Lodging in good neighborhoods for less than $80 a night are hard to find. The ones in the central downtown and Fisherman's Wharf areas charge extra for parking, about $30-45 a day. Even some marginal choices in less desirable areas can get away with charging outrageous prices because they are in San Francisco.

I also would recommend Columbua Motor Lodge. It is not as central as Union Square, but it is next to Fisherman's Wharf and well served by Public transit. Parking is free.

If you find something that looks really economical and you're tempted to book it, ask here so we can tell you about the area. Many hotels and motels (even some brand names like Best Western, Rodeway, or Holiday) are in locations where we prefer not to send visitors.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

The Columbus Motor Inn is perfect for you, with free parking, good location, access to public transportation, walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf. It is on a quiet tree-lined section of Columbus Avenue. There is a cable car stop within walking distance and the Muni buses run right by the door.

It will cost you more than $80/night but is the most economical of a decent place to stay with the parking and location. The only hotels I know of in the city under $80 are in bad locations and/or are fleabags and you still have to pay to park the car.

There are three really good breakfast cafes within three blocks on Columbus Avenue. I would not look further, if I were you.

http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/

7. Re: Where to stay? 4 days in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 07:27