We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we take teens to San Fran?

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Should we take teens to San Fran?

My husband and I will be going to San Francisco - 4 full days in addition to the 2 travel days. Should we take our 19- and 15-year-old daughters? I'm not sure how much they would like it. They will not want to do lots of "science museum"-type stuff. Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

Oh YES!

Take the girls without a doubt. SF is beautiful, has a great atmosphere and lots of funky shops.

So many things to do! My top recommendation with teens is to rent bikes, cycle over to Sausalito and get the ferry back. Great fun!

I'm sure the experts here will have loads more suggestions, but absolutely, take the girls - I have three teen girls and they all LOVE San Francisco.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

I'd agree - take 'em.

Here's a what I recommend, post a few of the things the girls DO like to do, sit back and watch the suggestions of the SF versions of these things roll in.

hlo

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

If your daughters like to shop, they'll be in heaven in SF. It'll be your husband who's unhappy - if they're using his credit cards.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

Yes, there is lots of "science museum type stuff," but there is more to San Francisco. There's something for just about everyone of any age here.

What do they enjoy? The arts of any kind (fine, popular, performing), nature, outdoor stuff, beautiful homes, shopping, unusual food, you name it, it's here. We don't have a lot of TV or movie celebrities to gawk at, unless they go to City Hall and happen to catch a glimpse of the mayor's wife, who the entire nation saw on one of those network TV programs as an actress in some pretty steamy scenes, lol. Her name is Jennifer Siebel.

Are they into history at all? The City is full of historic things to see, and some of them are pretty exciting. Alcatraz, for instance.

Maybe the waterfront and ocean aren't as exotic to you the way they would be to someone from Nebraska. But everyone has to at least go to Pier 39 to see the famous sea lions (we have a poster here who eats sea lions, so go early in the day while there are still plenty of them to see).

Did I mention shopping? Girls 15 and 19, I needn't say it twice, heehee. Union Square is the central shopping area (Macy's, Saks, N-M, Barney's, and more), and a big mall a few blocks away on Market with Bloomie, Nordstrom, and hundreds of other stores). But there are retail districts all over the City with more individual character. The girls might enjoy Haight Ashbury, which was the birthplace of the hippie cultural phenomenon 40 years ago (eeek, has it been that long?). You'll find all sorts of offbeat places for clothes, jewelry, books, music, food, etc.

The Haight is next to Golden Gate Park, which is well worth a few hours or more.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

It's a great place for teens, especially if you're willing to give them a bit of free time on their own. The city is geographically small with decent public transportation. Others may disagree but it's pretty safe for teens--I don't have any issues with my teens being out and about in the daylight hours. Probably the worse thing that could happen is that your daughters will want to move here someday.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

I have 2 teen girls, they love SF, we go all the time, luckily it's only a 40 mion drive for us.

They like shopping in the small shops around North beach, and Pacific Heights, and the big stores around Union Square (among other things).

7. Re: Should we take teens to San Fran?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 07:18