We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

I will be in town this weekend (june 6-7) with teen boys. Any suggestions for activities - not too expensive, please. They don't care for hiking or other such outdoor activities (lazy video players, basically). Some kind of weird spectator event would be good.

Thanks for your help!!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

The tactile dome at the Exploritorium is different - but cool.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

I would DEFINITELY take them to the Exploratorium There is some chance you would have troule getting them out of there.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Walnut Creek CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

Take them to the Sony Metreon. 101 Fourth Street SF. If they are gamers/techies they will like it a lot.

Northern California
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

If they are into music, there is a record store in Haight Ashbury which is always a hit - I think it's called Amoeba Records? Funky place anyway, and close to Golden Gate park which has a lot to do.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

MEB94598 writes>>Take them to the Sony Metreon....<<

Sony sold the Metreon in 2006 and a couple of months ago the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency approved the new owners (the Westfield Group and Forest City Enterprises) plans to convert the property into a restaurant focused mall. Besides the AMC Lowes movie theater complex the current list of tenants westfield.com/metreon/…-all-stores-2040.html is pretty slim -- The Chronicle Bookstore, a sunglasses outlet, a Tilt arcade, and a moribund PlayStation store which Sony has already announced will be closing (they've already closed the Sony store in the Metreon). Consequently I'd be prone to give this one a pass.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

I don't know how much this would appeal to them, but the Union Street Festival is this weekend.

http://www.unionstreetfestival.com

And there's the Sunday Streets event in the Mission District on Sunday morning.

http://sundaystreetssf.com/?page_id=472

They'd probably enjoy walking around Haight Street and the shops around there.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

The Union Street Festival sounds okay. Also Haight Street. The record store would definitely be a hit. How is parking for the Festival? Any suggestions? I'n guessing we won't be able to get there by BART?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,140 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

tjshana, Just a different type of suggestion from me.

This trip is not just for the teens. I hope that some of the time you will do activities that YOU enjoy as well. BTW if you'd like to take a walk/hike somewhere if wouldn't kill the "lazy video players" to join you.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

Well... depending upon the age and sophistication level of your teenagers, a step inside Ripley's Believe it or Not museum in the Fisherman's Wharf area MIGHT keep them entertained/grossed out for about 30 minutes! http://sanfrancisco.ripleys.com

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for fun or bizarre activities for teen boys

Definitely don't try to drive to the Union St. festival! Union St. will be blocked off and the parking in the area is bad enough on a regular weekend day. Haight St. isn't parking heaven either. Definitely use Muni.

BART in SF is primarily used by commuters and those coming in from the airport. Where are you staying?