We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baseball - SF or Oakland?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
baseball - SF or Oakland?

we were thinking of adding a game to our schedule. Options are in SF on Sat night or in Oakland on Mon night. How do the ballparks compare as far as a fun family experience? Is it possible to use public transportation to get to Oakland stadium? (please provide details)

thanks for any insight/opinions

Beth in Dallas

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

AT&T Park, where the Giants play, is a much prettier ballpark than the Oakland Coliseum, where the A's play.

Saturday night at AT&T Park will likely be crowded. Monday night at Oakland will probably not be, unless the A's are playing a team like the Red Sox or Yankees. I actually prefer watching a game at less crowded Oakland, although I often feel sorry for the owners when I see how sparse the crowds are. One thing that always bugged me about AT&T Park is that so many seats can have their views obstructed by people walking around the aisles

BART has a station at the Oakland Coliseum, so if you're staying in SF, it's very easy to get to.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

go to the San Francisco ball park, you'll like it much better.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

AT&T Park has a kids play area complete with a Coke slide and mini ball park located behind the left field bleachers. There is also a full size cable car that you can explore near the scoreboard behind right centerfield. I'm not sure if Oakland has anything similar. The weather will probably be better in Oakland, and the crowds should certainly be smaller. Oakland is also more affordable, so if money is tight that is another factor to figure in.

If it were me, I'd go see the Giants. The park has so much more to offer in the way of views and activities.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

In addition, the Giants ballpark is located along a beautiful waterfront site.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

Unless you're a die-hard A's fan (or a big fan of whoever they're playing), AT&T Park wins hands down for fan experience.

There's a reason Simba feels sorry for the A's owners ... that stadium was never built for baseball and is getting rather old.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

thanks - looks like AT&T park is the winner. My 8 yr old will enjoy a playground and cable car more than the game :)

And there is a cool promotin that night of knit hats - we can wear on Alcatraz tour the next morning!

7. Re: baseball - SF or Oakland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 07:46