We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A family trip in California

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A family trip in California

Hello, this summer we are coming back to Los Angeles for 3 weeks with our four kids! 16,11,11,and 9 years old... We had a blast last time going from L.A to Sequoia national park, we followed frisco advices and it was perfect!

This time we would like to visit yosemite park and go to san Francisco, I need some suggestions where to stop and what to see on the way and back. Could you help me please? This trip is planned on a week basis. Thank you, Carole from Paris

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A family trip in California

San Francisco and Yosemite can easily take up the full week. If you want to add in a few days in between - consider Gold Country - it has some interesting California history and is also very pretty. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12008-Gold_Cou…

Some ideas while in San Francisco with the kids: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16048-San_Fran…

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A family trip in California

I would recommend 2 nights in Yosemite, 3 or 4 nights in San Francisco and one night in Monterey. Some possible highlights:

See the view from Glacier Point in Yosemite.

In San Fran, rent bikes for everyone and pedal from the Fisherman's Wharf across the Golden Gate to Sausalito, then take the ferry back. This may be a bit complicated with four kids...

Visit the Exploratorium - an absolute MUST with kids that age.

See the aquarium in Monterey and Visit nearby Carmel (mom and dad will be charmed - kids probably bored, so don't plan on a long time there...my kids loved Carmel beach.

Drive down the coast from Monterey - incredible!

Other notes:

In San Fran, I say don't bother with Muir Woods since you're visiting Yosemite...enjoy city attractions instead.

Napa Valley can be fun for kids if mom and dad are interested in wineries - you can add the Sterling skylift, maybe a picnic, the Calistoga geyser, possibly a mud bath (?), or a bike ride...it's a beautiful place.

If you post your request in the "road trips" forum you'll possibly get some more suggestions.

Have a great trip!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A family trip in California

Thank you so much for your advices! Carole

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A family trip in California

Yes we do love wineries (a french thing...) can't wait to start the trip! Thank you, Carole

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A family trip in California

Are you starting in Los Angeles, make a round trip and come back to LA in one week? Can't you make this any longer! So many things to see and explore, you'll be short on time. The drive LA to SF at least takes 2 days, better three, and 2 days San Francisco are a bare minimum not to mention Yosemite NP, Tioga Pass and the drive back to LA via us395. Much nicer than the direct drive to LA, but longer. One week?

Tet

6. Re: A family trip in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:18