We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions about eating

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute questions about eating

My husband and teen son will be in California next week for their summer baseball guys tour. Thanks to help from this forum, I have them booked at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero (the rate has been falling since I originally booked landing at $159!)

They also have tickets for Alcatraz and Mr. Toad's 3-hour tour. And tickets for the ballgame.

They arrive Sunday around 6 and will go right to the hotel. Any recommendations for dining that night as well as the rest of their stay which is 3 nights? My son likes typical teenage stuff (pizza, wings, etc.) and a good steak; also loves breakfast out. Any recommendations?

Is there anything I've forgotten??? They are so lucky to have me!

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,842 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute questions about eating

Calzone north beach

http://www.calzonesf.com/

Its in North Beach and fun to watch the people as you eat...

Pizzeria Delfina

small - good pizza

yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-delfina-san-francisco

breakfast

Dottie's True Blue Cafe

//www.yelp.com/biz/dotties-true-blue-cafe-san-francisco

Steak:

Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib

yelp.com/biz/house-of-prime-rib-san-francisco

Steak:

Harris Restaurant

yelp.com/biz/harris-restaurant-san-francisco

SBC Park also has fun baseball food...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute questions about eating

BTW, it's AT&T Park now.

There's Acme Chophouse that is at the ballpark which specializes in steaks. It's located on the 3rd Street entrance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute questions about eating

Acme is not open on Sundays like many around there. You could probably find more in the Ferry Building

ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/marketbar.php

ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/taylors_refresh…

ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/slanted_door.php

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute questions about eating

For lunch or dinner, they both should enjoy Taylor's Automatic Refresher located just across the street from their hotel at the Ferry Building. It's very popular and can get quite crowded, so they might want to avoid going between 12 and 1 during the height of the normal lunch hour.

Here is a link to their menu:

taylorsautomaticrefresher.com/menu/TaylorsMe…

Gordon Biersch is a brewpub with decent food that is further down the Embarcadero in the direction of the ballpark. They have a good variety of food on their menu and might be another option for dinner that is close to the hotel. Here is a link to their website:

www.gordonbiersch.com/restaurants/index.php…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute questions about eating

Great suggestions - keep them coming!

I should clarify...unfortunately no games at AT&T for them. They are Twins fans so will be in Oakland for the game. I did mention to them there are tours at AT&T which I understand is a fantastic place to watch baseball!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute questions about eating

Definitely have them tour AT&T. It's a beautiful park.

Perry's might be a fun place. Good burgers. It's on the Embarcadero: http://www.perryssf.com/

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,842 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute questions about eating

For Oakland Stadium, what I recommend is the following, get there an hour before the game and go to Westside Club. Its best to reserve in advance. Awesome view of the field; good selection of kid and husband pleasing food. Its actually my favorite for eating at a stadium.

…mlb.com/oak/ballpark/oak_ballpark_guide.jsp

(note: I grew up in LA when they named their stadiums after guess what the team name like Dodger Stadium. Its amazing how you now need to be a commercial ...SBC...ATT...or whatever. Just wanted to apologize I used the wrong one>)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute questions about eating

Two places of interest - if you head down Embarcadero towards the giant cupid's bow & arrow. Right across is Perry's - San Francisco institution (though this is a spin-off location) and a few doors down is Chaya (I think one of the best burgers in the City.

www.perryssf.com

www.thechaya.com

If you want to grab a hearty hot breakfast - and get in and out fast; right across from your hotel is Bistro Burger (believe it or not, they have great pancakes and such - though you'll be eating with plastic utensils. Not such a fan of their burgers, stick to the previous suggestion of Taylor's)

And if you want to grab something for a picnic, just across from your hotel, down Sacramento Street is Focaccia. Understanding the lines can be confusing on your first trip if it's busy. There's a line for soup or salad, a line for sandwiches, and a line for hot meals - all to go. Great fresh ingredients. There's also a smaller store right next to it that sells grilled items.

www.focacciacatering.com

And lastly, if you want to venture to the Middle East, say for a quick lunch to go, again, right across from your hotel is a little hole in the wall called Oasis Grill. Really good Chicken Shawarma - which is kind of like a Middle Eastern burrito.

www.sfoasisgrill.com‎

9. Re: Last minute questions about eating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 06:18