We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you guys get cricket LOL

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Do you guys get cricket LOL

This has to be the most masochistic request of TA for a while... just wait for the Aussies to wake up and you'll see why. I know you guys (USA) don't get cricket, but England have got a big scrap lined up with Australia just as I arrive there (Aug 20). Is there a bar / pub in San Francisco that is likely to carry any kind of broadcast of this momentous event, or am I going to be confined to the safety of wifi?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

I don't know why you would want to watch when we just whipped you in under 3 days. Ricky and the boys will be up to the task in the final test.

LOL

I'm not sure which sports bars might show it but I know the Aussie American Chamber of Commerce has a day planned for Aussies_____I'm sure you would be more than welcome.

It's on their website

http://www.sfaussies.com/

If you email them they probably can tell you where you might find it on TV.

Have a great trip.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

You sound like a prime candidate for a Slingbox ( http://www.slingmedia.com/go/products ) or similar DVR/rebroadcasting device.

Dish Network, one of the two major US satellite TV service providers has some Cricket event referred to as "The Ashes - England Vs Australia" available as either a Pay-Per-View (i.e. premium above monthly fee) offering, or via an optional annual subscription to Zee Sports, so if you can connect with the right bar and/or group of English or Australian expatriates you might be able to find something; if you're desperate you might try either the British or Australian Consulates for suggestions. Rival satellite service provider DirecTV actually has an all-Cricket channel, Cricket Plus, but they seem to be focusing on a several-month long Pakistan Vs. Australia series, plus an England v. New Zealand's womens series.

I'd volunteer to tape it for you except we opted for the "watching paint dry" and "moderately repulsive rodent" channels instead of cricket.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

PS - I forgot to note that Comcast, who has the monopoly on cable service in San Francisco offers both wrestling and cage fighting on Pay per View but no cricket. You may draw your own conclusions from this.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

I found this -

http://www.advance.org/en/cev/879

It looks like there will be an outdoor gathering at Piper Park in Marin County, north of SF. I'd guess it's about a mile from the Larkspur Landing Ferry Terminal, which is where ferries from SF go. I used to work a few blocks from Piper Park, and I know there's a way to walk there from the Ferry Terminal, but the walk from the ferry terminal was very convoluted, so I'd hesitate to tell you to walk to the park from there. Maybe you can catch a cab from the ferry terminal to the park.

I've seen this particular match advertised on Dish TV. It's a pay-per-view, though.

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

See I told you! Hey Oskar, I was in Kuching at the time of the 5th Test in 2005. You know what, not one Aussie, and there were 100s of them about, knew or even wanted to know the result. Heck if our batsmen want to perform like they did this weekend I want my part in their public flogging! If that means copping it, so be it.

Incidentally, we'll miss Ponting when he goes. Clarke is a great player but he's just too agreeable. No chance you can start a Mitchell for skipper campaign is there?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

Hi caneable,

I was in Los Angeles in 2005 and at the crucial time of the Ashes I was at a party with some UK friends and boy did I cop some flak and I guess we had it so good for so long we were overdue.

Mitchell comes from my hometown and it's great to see him come good at the right time but hey there is one more to go.

Have fun !

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

I'm playing "obscure foreign films" with the last two entries, and putting my own subtitles underneath them. Even better, I'll let The Schmoo make the subtitles. Eggplants, really?!?!!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

The walk from the Larkspur Ferry Terminal to Piper Park is a little over a mile. If you take the bus from SF, the bus stop is about half a mile away. Similar walking path. Send me a private message (or request here) if you decide to come up this way, and I can provide you with step-by-step directions. Note that on Saturdays there aren't any northbound morning boats to Larkspur, so you'll have to catch the bus. You'll have options for the return trip to SF, assuming it's over at a reasonable hour.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

"Do you guys get Cricket"

I've seen cricket on TV, but I don't "get it".

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you guys get cricket LOL

Hi All

Oskar are we being stalked by Caffiend? One all and one to go but we need to win it to get bragging rights. FYI Last county match played at the Oval resulted in over 1200 runs for 9 wickets in 4 days play - well they gave up around lunch I think. If you guys win the toss that's it. Something like Aus 700+ for not many declared - probably with a big century from Clarke cos he deserves it. Us 500 and something for about 8 with Jimmy Anderson going his 55th consecutive test without a duck. Hah! Subtitle that!

Hey Caffiend cricket is changing try to remember to catch the Indian Premier League cricket next April May time. Sadly not the real thing but probably the future of our great game.