We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Itinerary

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Itinerary

Would appreciate any feedback on our itinerary for our upcoming trip the end of Aug to SF/Carmel. We are mid-40's and in pretty good shape. We like nature and history. (And a bit of shopping...)

Arriving on Sat noon time (will get our 3-day muni passes at the airport) and will drive to Carmel. Plan to just take in the town and a walk to the beach if we have time. Dinner at Little Napoli.

Day two Carmel: Visit the Mission in am and drive the 17 mile Drive. Hike in Point Lobos in the afternoon. Dinner at Demetra.

Day three Carmel: Drive to Big Sur and hike Julia Pfeiffer park. Maybe stop at Nepthene, I'd like to visit the gift shop and also stop at Hawthorne Gallery. If we're back in time, a drive thru Carmel Valley and hopefully stop at a winery, OR drive to Monterey and walk around or Pacific Grove. (Not interested in the Aquarium.) No plans for dinner, maybe Club Jalapeno or AW Schucks. Hubby doesn't like too much foo-foo at dinner and likes under $30 entrees.

Day four to SF: Will drive to SF. Plan to stop at Henry Cowell State Park and see the Redwoods. Any other suggestions on this would be appreciated (Henry Cowell vs Big Basin?) Would drive up Rt 9 to Rt 35 to get to SF. We will miss the coast line though from Monterey to SF....But I guess we'll have seen a lot of coastline by then anyway. Get to SF in the afternoon drive across the Golden Gates Bridge, maybe a quick stop in Sausalito, drive down Lombard St and then park our car for the next few days (found two places near our hotel that are a bit cheaper.) Plan to eat dinner in Union Square, not sure where. Maybe Scala's or somewhere similar. Would like to go to Harry Denton's or Top of the Mark before or after dinner. (We tend to eat pretty late.)

Day five in SF: Take the cable car (we're staying on Nob Hill) to the Wharf if we can get on (if not we'll walk) for a quick walk around, have to see the sea lions and would like to spend a few minutes in the Musee Mechanique arcade. Maybe stop at the cable car museum and a walk up and down Lombard on our way to FW. Have Alcatraz tickets for 1:30. Take the F streetcar down to the Ferry Building and then walk to Union Square for a bit of shopping (want to go to Alessi.) Dinner that night in North Beach at E Tutto Qua.

Day six in SF: Walk through Chinatown (I have a few walking tours to use,) then through North Beach over to Coit Tower. Up the Greenwhich steps and down the Filbert Steps, (not quite sure which goes up and then down but I can see it on the map.)

Then after that, I'm not sure about the rest of the afternoon. I hoped to fit in something else, maybe:

- The Haight (but how many headshops can you look at?)

- The Mission 24th St area (but not really sure about this neighborhood, interesting murals, but good shopping?)

- The Marina area (I don't think we would have time to rent bikes and do the bridge...) so not sure if a good walk around is interesting? REad about Crissy Field, and that's not a must do for us.

- Maybe a museum. Don't want to deal with crowds, etc at the Academy of Science. Maybe the Museum of Modern Art?

- Don't think we want to go to Golden Gate Park.

Last night will be dinner in Belden Lane or Cafe Claude or E&O Trading Company....Oh, and a drink at the Hurrican Bar and Tonga room!

Sorry this is so long, but would appreciate any comments, especially about our last day. And did I miss anything that is a must see? I will post a trip report when we return. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Sounds like you've got a great plan. I won't go into everything, but I might be able to help a bit:

[- The Haight (but how many headshops can you look at?)]

I love going to the Haight but it really depends on if you have an interest. It's certainly not all headshops. There's a massive CD store near Golden Gate Park that's fun to browse through for $2 CDs, good food (Cha Cha Cha, Magnolia Pub & Brewery), nice bars (Aub Zam Zam), good bookstore (Booksmith), etc. You can also walk into Golden Gate Park from there to the Flower Conservatory and on over the the deYoung/Academy of Sciences. Generally, it makes for a nice afternoon. But it helps if you have an interest in the history of the place.

[- The Marina area (I don't think we would have time to rent bikes and do the bridge...) so not sure if a good walk around is interesting? REad about Crissy Field, and that's not a must do for us.]

Agree that you can skip this.

[- Maybe a museum. Don't want to deal with crowds, etc at the Academy of Science. Maybe the Museum of Modern Art?]

Also agree that that the SFMOMA is a good option. Or, check out the deYoung (I personally like the SFMOMA more but the deYoung is worth it just for the building alone), also check into The Legion of Honor - a bit of a trek on bus but worth it.

[- The Mission 24th St area (but not really sure about this neighborhood, interesting murals, but good shopping?)]

Along Valencia there are some good, interesting shops. One of my favorites is Paxton Gate (824 Valencia near 19th) - certainly a one-of-a-kind store. There is, naturally, a lot of good food in the Mission.

Enjoy your trip!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

"Day six in SF: Walk through Chinatown (I have a few walking tours to use,) then through North Beach over to Coit Tower. Up the Greenwhich steps and down the Filbert Steps, (not quite sure which goes up and then down but I can see it on the map.) "

A small point but... , The Filbert and Greenwhich steps are on the east side of Telegraoh hill. It sounds like you will be coming from the west. So, you'll get to the top & Coit tower, before you get to the Steps. You'll definitly climb steps to get up there but not "the" steps. (Filbert steps are on both sides of the hill, but the ones on the East side are the ones people are usually referring to.)

It doesn't make sense to walk around the base of Telegraph hill to the other side, (via Broadway I guess), so that you can climb up to Coit tower via Greenwhich or Filbert steps.

So once on top, you can go down the steps, then turn around at the bottom and climb back up the other set of steps. You can take either one up or down, they are not "one way". The Greenwhich steps are easier to find on the way down, they are right off of the parking lot. Filbert steps are a little farther south.

Maryland
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Thanks, just the info I needed to round out our trip! Think we'll check out The Haight, we do have an interest in the history of that area. And if we have time, we'll head to the 24th Street Mission area. And thanks for the info on "the steps"...for some reason I'm fascinated by those.

4. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 05:17