We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bart with luggage

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Bart with luggage

My family and I(4 of us) are arriving in San Francisco Friday. We will each have a piece of luggage and a small bag. Is this to much to bring on BART?

We had hoped to take BART to Montgomery Street which is close to our hotel

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,597 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bart with luggage

It's not too much to bring on BART. Taking BART to your hotel should work well.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bart with luggage

it should be fine- you'll see lots of other people getting on BART from SFO with luggage.

If you're arriving during commute hours, it might get busy by the time you reach Montgomery Station. The first car of the train is often less crowded than the center cars.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bart with luggage

I use BART from the Oakland airport occasionally with one or two bags. The good news is you will be at the origin, so there won't be a crowd on board. The bad news is there are no special accomodations like an overhead rack or luggage rack like you might find in a shuttle. I usually stand my suitcase up in the seat beside me. You don't want to leave it in the aisle.

For this reason, I want to reinforce the first car would be less crowded than the middle, so it's a much better place for a group or people with a lot of luggage.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bart with luggage

I just returned from a solo trip and used BART. I am a big proponent of public transportation and found BART convenient and efficient for my needs.

Having said all that, if I was traveling with a family of 4 I would strongly consider taking a taxi.

The savings, $32.00 for 4 BART tickets compared to taxi fare is not all that great and a taxi would be much easier.

To access BART from the terminal you need to take escalators to a train that will take you to the BART station. You have to purchase your tickets and go back down to the train.

I don't know about Montgomery Street station, but at Powell I had to carry my bag up 5 or 6 steps to get to the escalator that took me to street level.

I don't want to make it sound like an impossible task and it may actually be an adventure that you enjoy. But it is a lot easier to just walk out of the terminal and into a waiting taxi.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,597 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bart with luggage

przyk makes a good point. A taxi would cost about $45 vs. $32 for BART, but the reduced hassle might be worth it.

If I was in your situation, I'd take a taxi.

NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bart with luggage

Thanks for the input. I probaly will cab it

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bart with luggage

It is so easy to walk out of baggage claim, head to the taxi stand, hop in a cab and 25 minutes later you can be at your hotel. It's about $45 plus tip.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bart with luggage

our flight gets in at 11:15 and was hoping to catch the last BART 11:54 to montgomery street. probably not likely going to catch it, so the other form of transportation is the samtrans bus. is luggage allowed on the bus? what is the samtrans like never used it before.

9. Re: Bart with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 07:19