We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
transportation

Can you use CalTrain to get from San Francisco Airport to the Four Seasons in Palo Alto without taking a cab? What do cab rides cost from the airport to the hotel?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

I'm assuming you want the one in East Palo Alto, right? (I don't think there are others, but you never know...)

In answer to your question: Sort of. You have to catch BART or a SamTrans bus to get from SFO to the Caltrain station. Once in Palo Alto, you have to catch a SamTrans bus or taxi to your hotel.

The "best" public transit option involves these 3 steps:

1. Board SamTrans Route KX from one of its several SFO stops. Be sure to go towards Palo Alto, not San Francisco. Pay $1.75 when boarding. Ride to Hillsdale.

2. Get off the bus at the corner of El Camino Real and Hillsdale Blvd. Walk to the opposite side of the intersection and up the stairs into the Hillsdale Caltrain Station. Buy a ticket from the vending machine, then board a southbound train to ride to Palo Alto.

3. Get off the train at Palo Alto, then catch SamTrans Route 280 or 281. Pay $1.75 when boarding. Get off at University and Woodland, which is next to (280) or just across the street from (281) the Four Seasons.

Alternatively, skip step 2 and ride Route KX all the way to Palo Alto. This will be easier and cheaper, but on weekdays will be slower. On weekends, the bus will be only slightly slower than Caltrain.

I'll defer to others on a taxi cost estimate.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

Funny coincidence - I must have been composing my question when you posted this - I found this information online when I was researching costs from SFO to downtown, it lists SFO to Palo Alto at $79 for a cab ride:

flysfo.com/web/…taxis.html

Here's the information on that link, in case you can't access it:

taxis from SFO to the peninsula and south bayTaxis depart from the designated taxi zones located at the roadway center islands, on the Arrivals/Baggage Claim Level of all terminals.

Uniformed taxi coordinators are stationed at the taxi zones from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. to assist passengers with questions or concerns.

Ramp accessible taxis are available. Please contact the taxi coordinator to request a ramp accessible taxi, or phone *1191 from any airport courtesy phone.

Taxi drivers are required by Airport regulation to accept fares to all Bay Area destinations.

Approximate fares to Peninsula and South Bay cities:

San Bruno/Millbrae- $13

South San Francisco- $17

Hillsborough- $19

Brisbane- $20

San Mateo- $24

Redwood City- $42

■Palo Alto- $79

Mountain View- $97

■San Jose Airport- $124

San Jose- $134

Los Gatos- $142

Santa Cruz- $214

Metered rates apply to all destinations. Destinations either 15 miles beyond the limits of the City and County of San Francisco or 15 miles beyond the boundaries of San Francisco International Airport are charged at 150% of the metered rate. A $2.00 exit surcharge is included in all San Francisco taxicab meter fares for rides originating from San Francisco International Airport. By sharing a ride, up to 5 persons can ride for the price of 1 person.

Taxi drivers are required by airport regulation to accept fares to all Bay Area destinations.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation

thats great information thank you. i looked on the net but couldn't find any meaningful info.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation

any express route on Samtrans anything ending with an "X" is $4.50. The regular route fares are $1.75.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation

Route KX is a "mixed" route. Only passengers getting on or off in San Francisco (i.e., north of SFO) pay the express fare. All other passengers pay $1.75. I encourage you to check the SamTrans Web site for an explanation...

6. Re: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 07:22