We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
491 reviews
Save Topic
My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

Hi,

It has been brought to my attention that I made a big mistake by using the city code to identify San Francisco. I now understand that I have offended those who don't like that used to indicate the city, I apologize for any unpleasant feelings I may have caused. I have been informed that is why I have not had many posts to my original thread. I explained that it is the "language" of my profession, but I may have offended many, in any case.

For this, I am sorry.

Please relay any all information you have about New Year's Eve in San Francisco.

Thank you,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

sorry...early..no coffee yet, can't spell!

Apology

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,842 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

I am not sure that anyone is offended when the airport code is used to refer to the city, it is just confusing. The airport is 13 miles south of the city and sometimes people DO want accommodations there, but if they mean the city, it is helpful to have the accurate location.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

Don't sweat it. Most people here don't care, but we do notice, just so you know the reason - the city is named after a saint so it's considered by many to be in poor taste to refer to it otherwise (e.g. Frisco).

New Year's eve - the Embarcadero (street that runs next to the water) has a big party and fireworks, I also hear the party at the Hyatt Regency is good, though I've never been. It's a city that enjoys its fun, so about anyplace you choose should be fine.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
5,260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

New Years eve in San Francisco - it depends in part on your budget and tastes. You can easily spend $500 - $1500 for the night or more; so having an idea on what you would like to spend is helpful. Note: You can also do it relatively inexpensive if you so desire.

As mentioned Hyatt Regency is a good place to be for New Years Eve. It is close to where the New Years Eve fireworks go off (note: it was relatively clear this year - but sometimes fog can be a factor.).

Muni and other public transportation is generally free after 8 p.m. so that is helpful.

It also depends upon what you like to do. For example, is a festive dinner with all the works your thing; or is just relaxing and seeing San Francisco. There are Hornblower New Year Eve cruises on the bay; there are dinner theaters. You will generally pay more for dinner the closer you are to the waterfront (especially the bay bridge) with the fireworks.

Last year, we decided to have a nice dinner out...but forego the high price and got a nice $40.00 dinner each at Two. Kobe Beef and Crab, with dessert and all the works. It was a nice time. We then went and saw the fireworks.

http://www.two-sf.com/

I generally look at www.opentable.com a month or so before New Years and see what the resaturants are offering for dinner (both menu and price wise - note: we often are out of the area for New Years, so this works even if you are in some other city or area.).

If you want an inexpensive New Years, go ice skating by the Hyatt Regency and then see the fireworks.

If more into the club scene, check out some of the action from last years 2009

http://www.clubzone.com/nye/index.asp?city=5

Generally around November or so it will start being updated for 2010.

I would anticipate this year New Years will be a bit "quieter" affair for California with our high unemployment rate....so if you like just being out with other families, people often go to the movies at the Metreon and then catch something to eat, and enjoy the fireworks.

Note: Californians tend to also watch the reruns of the New York City ball dropping at New Years. (note: WE are 3 hours behind, but most TV sets are set to that activity. Not sure if the same in Texas.)

If you are into the wine country scene, Napa Valley Wine Train usually has a New Years eve special train trip; or you can find a few wineries with amazing gourmet dinners, or you can Romp with the Beasts at Safari West

napavalley.com/special_interest/…dec.html

In general, if you end up with your heart set at going to a particular restaurant, be sure to book 2 weeks or so before New Years. The best will sell out and you take your chances. Of course, if you know earlier, try to book as soon as the restaurant or show allows reservations or booking tickets.

Happy New Years 2010 (a bit in advance of course) and let us know if you have special requests on what you like to do for New Years!

Enjoy planning your trip!

5. Re: My Apologiy and New Year's Eve info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 06:20