We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of living and other info please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunfermline
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cost of living and other info please

Hi folks. Myself and my wife are making our first visit to San Francisco and will be staying for a week there in early October. Not got a clue really about what to expect cost wise though. How much can we expect to pay for an average meal and how much would a pint of beer or glass of wine cost?

Neither of us are bothered about fancy restaurants and we normally stick to eating fairly 'middle of the road' food.

Also, is it worth taking a day excursion to Yosemite, or does it deserve a few days in it's own right?

Planning on doing a trip to Alcatraz, Muir Woods and Napa. Wondered about hiring a car to drive down to Carmel and Monterey for the day, but see that travel companies do excursions also. What would you recommend?

many thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of living and other info please

Hey there! So I was thinking about the cost of living question. San Francisco isn't as expensive as say London or New York City, but we're up there in cost.

To give you good idea, check out this link.

http://tinyurl.com/mt77u8

It's the menu of a fairly average pub type restaurant called Gordon Biersch. You can see an average cocktail is just under $10. Fish & Chips, $14.

San Francisco Sales Tax is currently 9.5% - So if you've been given good service, you can simply double the tax for a tip (usually between 15-20% of the bill, so doubling tax is just an easy way to get there). You may also see a "health tax" reference on menus. This small fee helps provide health care insurance for the restaurant staff.

I'm sure others will point out that there are cheaper options - and more expensive options. I just wanted to give an example of a middle of the road place.

I work downtown around the Ferry Building and lunch for me is usually around $8-10, depending on the place.

As for Yosemite. If you think you'll return, it probably deserves it's own highlight, but if you just have to see it, the daytrip is most likely worth it.

With only a week - and your other excursions included, I'd probably pass on Monterey and Carmel and focus more time on San Francisco and it's many neighborhoods.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of living and other info please

Hi,

Cost of meals as previous poster said. I'll add that a glass of wine is usually $7-10. Asian restaurants tend to be a little cheaper and are among the best option in SF--many Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese all over. Now, if you're eating in Fisherman's Wharf, all bets are off; prices are exorbitant. The neighborhoods have better food, lower prices, and needless to say, fewer tourists.

Speaking of neighborhoods, that is my best recommendation. In no particular order: Chinatown, North Beach, Russian Hill/Telegraph Hill, Castro, Haight, the Richmond, Pacific Heights, Marina/Cow Hollow, etc., etc. That is where the character of SF is found. Locals rarely go to Fisherman's Wharf.

I agree that exploring these neighborhoods makes more sense than Carmel/Monterey for a day, gorgeous though they are. If you do go down, I'd strongly recommend sea kayaking, which is available for beginners.

Yosemite is breathtaking, and the answer to your question depends partly on how much you like driving. Doing it in one day means you'll be in your car for ~8 hrs.

Have a great trip!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of living and other info please

You can take 1-day tours that take you from San Francisco to Yosemite, you spend a few hours in Yosemite Valley, then you go back and arrive in San Francisco that night. Yes, you should see Yosemite even if for an afternoon. But try to make another trip to California again sometime and see Yosemite in May or June when the waterfalls are at full flow.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of living and other info please

check the dealfeed for bargains in dining out including happy hour specials, new bargains added regularly:

http://sf.eater.com/tags/dealfeed

5. Re: cost of living and other info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 06:20