We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

Hi Experts,

I will have two days in SF and thought I'd take BART to Berkeley and the ferry to Sausalito. First, where would be a good place to have lunch in Berkeley, say a place with local flair/history? Second, where do I get the ferry for Sausalito and what is there to do once I get there? Any suggestions for lunch as well would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

In Sausalito, just as you exit through the parking lot from the ferry area, you'll find downtown Sausalito with lots of shops both to the left and right on Bridgeway. There are a few restaurants. It depends on what you want to spend for meals. There's a Salsalito Taco place further down Bridgeway heading towards the right from the ferry area, about a 10 min. walk and it is on the left. allmenus.com/ca/…

For a great Italian meal with locally farmed ingredients go to Poggio in the Casa Madrona Hotel. http://www.poggiotrattoria.com/

Here is a calendar of events for Sausalito: www.oursausalito.com/calendar-of-events.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

Do you mean Berkeley and Sausalito on the same day? You'll have to return to San Francisco from Berkeley by BART. From the Embarcadero station you can walk over to the ferry building for the Sausalito ferry.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

If you have only two days in San Francisco and have never been here, you'll find yourself overwhelmed with things to see and do.

Side trips to both Sausalito and Berkeley could eat up a lot of your time. Getting to one of these places and back, plus the time you spend sightseeing, having lunch, etc., can be several hours.

If you really want to go outside the City for a change of scene, it might be best to pick the place that intrigues you more and just go there.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

If you have just two days in SF and haven't been there before, you will find too much to do to make it outside of the City. However, the ferry ride to Sausalito is spectacular and you should make every effort to fit it in unless you'll already be visiting Alcatraz.

It is easier to schedule a trip to Sausalito as part of a single trip that also includes the Golden Gate Bridge. Berkeley is on the other side of the Bay and can be visited independently of Sausalito. In fact, you will have to return to SF to get to Berkeley.

You can visit Sausalito and the Golden Gate Bridge as a clockwise or counterclockwise loop. Assuming you opt to go clockwise, this is what you'll want to do:

From Mission Street, board any Golden Gate Transit bus. You'll probably catch the 10, 70, 80, or 101, although there are a handful of trips on other routes. Get on, tell the driver you will be going to Sausalito and need a transfer, pay $3.95, take the transfer, and sit down. Get off at the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza. (Hint: It's the first stop on the highway, so ring the bell once you get on the highway.)

Once at the Bridge, you can walk around, and you can walk all the way across if you like. If you don't walk across, return to the same bus stop and then wait for Routes 2, 10, or 92 to get to Sausalito. If you walk across, you'll want to continue past the Vista Point to the bus stop, which is next to the off-ramp for Alexander Avenue. Catch any bus to get to Sausalito. Insert the transfer into the farebox and then take a seat.

Once in Sausalito, you can wander around the shops and restaurants. Afterward, catch the ferry back to SF. Golden Gate Ferry costs $7.85 and returns to the Ferry Building. Blue & Gold Fleet costs $9.50 and returns to Pier 41, near Fisherman's Wharf. Golden Gate Ferry also has free transfer to Muni, which will allow you to return back to your hotel or any other destination in the City. Blue & Gold Fleet does not offer transfers of any kind.

If you decide to travel counter-clockwise, do the same thing in reverse. However, note that the bus stop on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge is not as close to the Vista Point as it is going the other direction.

Lastly, if you are using a Muni Passport and intend to walk across the Bridge, your directions will be slightly different. Please let us know if this is the case and I will post the alternative routing option, which will save you a couple bucks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

Thanks to all! I have been to SF before several times but these would be places I've never seen. I thought each could be a day trip. I will take your advice and look forward to seeing yet another wonderful part of your area!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

If you do decide to go to Berkeley, I'd suggest the "gourmet ghetto", lots of great place to eat there, like teh Cheese Board Collective, and the place across the street "Epicurious Garden"

www.gourmetghetto.org

From SF take BART, Richmond bound train to the Downtown Berkeley station, walk about 1/2 mile north on Shattuck, cross street is Cedar St. and the area just north.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

Oh good, knowing you've been here before, then coming to visit the East Bay makes sense. There is so much to see and do in SF proper that we don't normally recommend tourists come to the sunny side of the Bay!

To get to/from Berkeley, BART is the "easiest" but not necessarily the best option. If you are looking to make this a half-day trip, I suggest the following:

From the Ferry Building, catch the Alameda/Oakland Ferry to Oakland's Jack London Square. After wandering around for half an hour or so, walk up Broadway to 12th Street and catch a "Richmond" BART train to the downtown Berkeley station.

Once downtown, you can take a look around and then walk north along Shattuck Avenue to the Gourmet Ghetto. Be sure to bring an empty stomach! Highlights include the Cheese Board Pizza Collective, Chez Panisse, the original Peet's coffee house, and several other uniquie, indpendent dining destinations (Virginia Bakery, Gregoire, etc.).

If you want to burn all the food off, be sure to walk up to Indian Rock Park. You can return back to downtown Berkeley by foot or by bus (AC Transit Routes 7, 9, 18, 65, 67, and 79 depending upon where exactly you end up). Alternatively, you can walk over to the south side of campus (Telegraph Avenue) and soak in all the street vendors, ex-hippies, students, etc.

After you are finished in Berkeley, you absolutely must take the bus back to SF! You'll be able to get great vistas of the SF skyline, plus you'll be able to see the new Bay Bridge under construction. From downtown Berkeley and around the UC campus, AC Transit Route F is the bus to take.

P.S. If you find yourself spending an entire day in the East Bay, worthy destinations include Oakland's Rockridge neighborhood (Zachary's pizza, various shops) and Oakland's Lake Merritt. You can return to SF from Lake Merritt via AC Transit Route NL.

8. Re: Day trips to Berkeley and Sausalito- please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 06:21