We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

Husband and I just decided to fly to San Francisco for a long weekend, arriving Friday Oct. 23rd and leaving Monday Oct. 26th. We want to stay near Union Square, since we've stayed in that area before and really enjoyed using public transportation to get everywhere (we won't have a car). But we can't seem to find a hotel with any availability! We're looking in the $200/night range, but would be willing to pay more if necessary. Is there something going on that weekend that's filling up all the Union Square hotels? Any advice? I know the Fisherman's Wharf area is another option for hotels, but we're not huge fans of the touristy atmosphere there...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

There is a big convention as well as a few smaller ones. The biggie is

10.24.09 - 10.27.09 American Academy of Ophthalmology

Annual Meeting

Saturday, 10/24/2009 through Tuesday, 10/27/2009

Attendance: 24000

Peak Rooms: 13000

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

Try the Cow Hollow area (aka The Marina) which is plenty fun with shopping on Union & Chestnut Streets and dining at many great restaurants nearby

accessible by several MUNI buses, too.

Coventry Motor Inn http://www.coventrymotorinn.com/

http://www.franciscobayinn.com/

or in Russian Hill at the Nob Hill Motor Inn http://www.staysf.com/nobhill.html and here are nearby dining and shopping options if you stay in Russian Hill tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17406-San_Fran…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

Oh, okay. Darn opthamalogists. :)

I guess we'll just have to branch out and hope to find something. Any other hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I'm a little overwhelmed with researching hotels in other neighborhoods.

Ireland
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

As mentioned by Obsidian, check out Cow Hollow and the Marina. Have a look at both the Cow Hollow Inn and the Chelsea Motor Inn. If you're going to be away from Union Square, it's a great location on good public transport. You're only one block back from Chestnut where you can get the 30 bus to fisherman's Wharf, or on into Union Square and downtown via Chinatown, and you can get the 28 bus to the Golden Gate Bridge from practically outside your door and the 43 to the Haight. There are great eating experiences around, you're near some nice shops, Crissy Fields, Fort Mason and the Presidio. I used to live around there, and had friends who stayed in both. If had to pick either the Cow Hollow or Chelsea, I'd pick the Cow Hollow as you won't have to cross Lombard to get the Chestnut. Union Street is a few blocks uphill.

Ireland
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

Ooh, forgot to mention the Palace of Fine Art and the Exploratium!

6. Re: What's happening the weekend of Oct. 24th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 07:20