We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Visit

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
October Visit

Hello.

I am planning on visiting around the 12th October.

2 questions.

How busy would you expect it to be. We will be there til 17th October. I was there Mid november last year and it was pretty quiet.

is the Citypass a good idea? A colleague suggests its not but we will not be hiring a car but staying within the confines of this marvelous city. Last year was an educational trip with my company so all taxi travel was paid for but its clearly too expensive on this leisure trip.

Thanks in advance.

Seattle
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: October Visit

October is a busy month, mostly due to large conventions taking place on almost a daily basis throughout the entire month.

Check this website for a calender of conventions taking place in S.F

http://www.sfcvb.org/convention/calendar.asp

October 8th-13th is Fleet Week, so if you can avoid S.F on these days, your stay will be much cheaper, especially the hotels.

Are you only going to visit S.F ? or is it a part of a larger vacation plan?

Is the date flexible (October 12th-17th), or have you already booked flights etc. ?

It'll be easier to answer your questions if you provide us with more detailed information.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October Visit

Dates are fixed. I was supposed to be visiting Cape Town but there was a big issue with something and plans have changed.

Im booked in to the Fairmont for the first 2 nights but the 3rd night is totally full so will venture to the holiday Inn express FW for one night then back to the Fairmont for the last 2 nights.

Yes were are staying in the city and we will fly from the uk and fly straight back. We only have a weeks vacation time so 5 nights is the max.

Im quite familiar with the area. i work for an airline and when I visited last November on an educational trip we had some free time but also time to visit some of the hotels we contract.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October Visit

10.11.09 - 10.15.09 Oracle Corporation

Oracle OpenWorld - 2009

Sunday, 10/11/2009 through Thursday, 10/15/2009

Attendance: 45000

Peak Rooms: 15500

WOW

It surely will not be a problem visiting during these days though? Hmm.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Visit

At least you have your hotel booked. With the Oracle thing, getting accomodation isn't easy. (You might contact the Fairmont and ask if they can put you on a waiting list for that one night you have to move.)

The city won't see too crowded during Oracle, except around Moscone Center.

Fleet Week is another matter. Fisherman's Wharf will be very busy, as will the Marina and Cow Hollow as everyone lines the bay and the hills to take in the Blue Angels. They buzz around for a few days before the weekend "practicing" too (and driving me nuts).

The City Pass is a good idea if the attractions it includes are of interest to you. You'll be here long enough for it to be of use, I'd think. There is a competing offer called the "Go Card." This link provides info on both and a good side-by-side comparision: sanfranciscoselfguidedtour.com/tours/package…

October is "neighborhood walks" month and City Guides has expanded their walking tour schedule during the month to include many "off the beaten path" areas. If you're not into the crowds of Fleet Week, you might check them out: www.sfcityguides.org

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October Visit

Sal is right. If the attractions on the Citypass interest you, it can be a real bargain.

It's worth noting that even if they don't all interest you and/or you don't use them all, you can still come out ahead from a strict $$$ standpoint. Similarly, you might find you really like something that you only had mild interest in, but decided to do "since it was paid for." Another thing to note is that the children's version isn't as much of a bargain as the adult one.

Also, I consider some of the intangibles of a Citypass worth something too. Not having to stand in line, perhaps doing something you might not otherwise do because you thought it was too expensive for the amount of time you have to do it in, etc.

There are numerous other posts about Citypass in general, the pros/cons & cost benefit analysis and comparisons with the Go Card on the forum. You should be able to find them by searching on Citypass (might want to repeat with it as two words).

If you decide against the Citypass, I still suggest you get one of the MUNI passport (the public transit component included with the Citypass). These can be purchased separately and by themselves can generate substantial savings (especially if you ride the cable cars) - also the same intangibles aspect applies (not having to worry about exact change for your fare, just hopping on a bus if you're tired, hoping off if you see something that interests you, etc.).

Hope this is helpful,

HLO

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October Visit

I just looked at that calendar, and hoo boy did I dodge a bullet! Oracle is having their convention in the middle of the month- 45000 people!

There's another big one that ends the day before I come into town, that's about half that size. The other ones going on are small potatoes in comparison.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: October Visit

All good info thanks.

The blue angels is the usa equivalent of the red arrows (aircraft displays) here in england? I would be interested in seeing them. What day are they on do you know? The 13th will be our first full day.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October Visit

Yes, the Blue Angels are the US Navy's fancy fliers. They will be doing a show both Saturday and Sunday. As I recall, it starts about 2pm. Really bad fog will cancel it.

They also buzz about town for the 3-4 days prior.

A good spot to watch the show is from the vista point at the Golden Gate Bridge. Bring ear plugs.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: October Visit

No earplugs for me. I love the sound of aircraft. My dad is in the forces.

We arrive on the 12th which is a Monday. Fleet week finishes on the 13th so I would have missed them if they perform on the sat and sun. Or am I being thick?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October Visit

Whoops, sorry, yes. They are doing their thing on the 10th and 11th. My fault! I was looking at September's calendar (duh). The city will have quieted down after all the festivities!