We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fl
8 posts
Save Topic
Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

I am debating whether I should visit Sausalito or not? What is there to see and how do you get there from Powell/Market area. It looks like the GGT will take me there. Is the GGT fare covered by the Muni pass? If not is there a Muni route that goes there? Also, is it fessible to walk from vista point to Sausalito?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

No, no, and yes.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

From the vista point at the bridge to Sausalito is a little over 4 miles.

You can also take a ferry from Fisherman's Wharf or the Ferry Building (not covered by a Muni Pass).

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

For info on Golden Gate Transit fares, head over to www.goldengate.org . They should have all the info you need. I definately reccomend the ferry if you want to head over to Sausalito, or are coming back from.

You want to walk the Golden Gate Bridge, go to Sausalito, then come back? I would suggest taking Muni to the bridge, then walk the bridge and continue on to Sausalito, and when you are done there, take the Golden Gate Ferry back to SF.

The ferry ride is actually cool- it takes you pretty close to Alcatraz island, and overall it's a pretty nice ride.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

The muni pass is only good for the San Francisco Muni System which includes the busses in the city all marked Muni, the light rail system both under and above ground (Not BART which is a separate system) the streetcars that run on Market to Fisherman's Wharf and the cable cars. The muni busses are mostly white with an orange stripe or greay with a red stripe on the botoom (the light rail cars are also this color scheme). There are numerous systems that run in the city including SamTrans (mostly serves southern portion of the area) Golden Gate transit which serves mostly the northern area and the ferry system none of which are covered by the muni pass.

Sausalito is lovely, a great place to stroll around and shop and the views are spectacular, why someone would say don't visit I don't know, it's one of the places I actually go with out of town guests instead of just pointing out the way. I do concur with the advice to take the ferry. If it's not foggy you get great views of the bridge and the bay and Alcatraz.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

I'm with LadyAmanita on this. Sounds like you would enjoy a visit to the Golden Gate Bridge along the way. Best way to keep the cost down and enjoy a walk is this:

1. Catch Muni from your hotel to the Golden Gate Bridge. Assuming you are staying near Union Square, you'll want to take Muni's 30 line north/west to Laguna Street, then switch to the 28. On Sundays, Muni's 76 line operates directly from Union Square to the GGB.

2. Walk across the bridge. It's about two miles from the Toll Plaza to the bus stop after the Vista Point, if I remember correctly, so plan for a 30-40 minute walk.

3. From the bus stop just past the Vista Point, catch any Golden Gate Transit bus (Routes 2, 10, or 92). The GGT bus will stop in downtown Sausalito.

4. After visiting Sausalito, catch the Golden Gate Ferry (from nearby that bus stop) back to SF. GGF is cheaper than Blue & Gold Fleet. Primary difference is GGF operates to the Ferry Building, while B&GF operates to Pier 41.

The Ferry Building is more convenient to Union Square hotels than Pier 41. GGF offers a free Muni transfer (through the end of this year only) that enables you to get back to your hotel at no additional expense. Transfers are available from the machines near the ferry terminal exit. On weekdays, Muni's 2 bus operates from near the Ferry Building directly to the Union Square area. At night and on weekends, you'll have to catch something along Market Street.

http://www.sfmta.com

http://www.goldengate.org

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

I would definitely recommend taking to ferry to Sausalito, Sausalito is very pretty with lovely little shops and walks by the water. Last time I was there we had Dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant, can't remember the name of it but it's about a 10 minute walk (North) and is on the right. Enjoy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

No, a muni pass will not get you to Sausalito.

Sausalito is a posh area with lots of tourist shops, some places to eat and good views of San Francisco. Personally I find Sausalito itself not very exciting outside of the nice views since I'm not much of a touristy shopping person. The area around here is beautiful, though.

Taking a bus to the south side of the Golden Gate bridge and walking across is nice, long-ish walk and be sure to bring warm clothes. I'd plan about 90 minutes for this walk. Once you've walked you'll probably want to come back some other way such as a ferry.

Walking along the road down into Sausalito from the north side of the bridge isn't the nicest if you walk along the road main road down. It's nicer if you do this: 1) take the path underneath the bridge to get to the side by the hill. 2) Go to the far end of the parking lot towards the hill and look for the trail going down. This will lead you down under the bridge to a marina area. 3) From the marina area, just head north either along the trails or the road. and you'll end up in Sausalito without having to deal with the narrow roads and motorists whizzing by. Plus there are nice views and even a non-fancy place to get some burgers and beer in the marina area by the bridge.

I recommend taking the ferry back though it's expensive. If you have a TransLink pass then the ferry is much cheaper--but it's probably not worth the hassle of getting one just for that. more info at Translink at https:/…useTranslink.do . Basically you put money on a card and then swipe it to deduct fares for transportation in the Bay Area. Good for locals, but maybe not worth the hassle to get a card for for out-of-towners.

8. Re: Is the Muni pass good on the Golden Gate Transit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 07:23