We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

Falisolle, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

Hi,

I intend to rent a car at the Budget Rent a Car office at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero (I have found a good bargain for a SUV, with a one way trip to LA, from our local office in Belgium).

Does anyone have got some experience with this rental location?

Quality of cars? Service? Friendliness of staff?

Thanks for your help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

the Yelp.com is not very promising, but it is from one year ago and has little information: yelp.com/biz/…20Car

as does the Jul 2, 2009 TripAdvisor review of the hotel, which includes the "unfriendly" description about the car rental service person, beyond the hotel's control. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d8110…

If you experience anything unfriendly with the rental experience or any service that you expected to be better handled, you have the right as a consumer to register a complaint with the business's corporate office in writing (I wish more people would opt for this in addition to writing a review); a polite and well-explained letter often has better results than phoning customer service unless it is something that cannot wait.

Mexico
Level Contributor
468 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

I got a great rate too from this location, also one way to LA. For 2 weeks I've been quoted a minivan for $430 with taxes. I have a rate from Alamo for $689 for the same period and the same car. I also don't know if there's a catch to this. I've always rented from Alamo before, and I know that I always pay what's in the confirmation email, but I don't know if this is so with Budget. The Budget confirmation email says it includes taxes, but this taxes are way much lower than the taxes that are on the Alamo confirmation. I hope someone who has rented from Budget before can give us some advice.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

I'd like to share my experience with you in the hopes that it will help you make a better informed decision...

We rented a car from Budget Car Rental @ the Hyatt Regency approximately 3 weeks ago. When we arrived, there was 1 person in front of us - we waited over 15 minutes. In that time, not once did the Agent look up, acknowledge, or apologize for the wait. Once our turn came, the service was HORRIBLE. Not only was the agent very rude, but was CONSTANTLY trying to upsell us to a "V8" car. After politely declining several times, I finally had to get abrupt and tell her that we would NOT be making any upgrades. After about 10 minutes we were finally assigned a car and opted to fill the car up with gas on our own. She stated that we would be expected to fill the car up to the level that we received it at. She said she did not know at that point what level it was at, but that the attendant delivering the car would let her know. The car was delivered to the valet area, at which time the attendant stated to my husband "The gas in the car is completely full....I know that, but SHE doesn't (referring to the agent upstairs)". My husband and I were both extrememly perplexed by that statement, but carried on our way. We drove 140 miles that day and returned to the hotel around midnight that night. We filled the car up with gas at a station a couple minutes away from the hotel and returned it the next morning. We returned from our vacation to find a $50 charge from Budget Car Rental for gas. After MANY calls, and multiple levels of supervisors, they still refuse to reverse the charge. An informed, intelligent person should be able to do the simple math between our gas receipt and the number of miles we drove to determine that we filled the car back up. We are still in the process of arguing this case with them. Unfortunately for them, because of this horrible experience as well as out of principle, I'm not gonna let this one go!

Falisolle, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

Thanks to all of you for the comments.

In fact, I have already got some strange experience with Budget, two years ago in L.A.

I had been charged on my credit card some 55$ more than on the contract signed in Belgium, and had been deeply pushed by the local agent to pay for the gas tank full and return it empty (instead of returning tank refilled, as mentionned in their general conditions).

Of course, gas price was higher with them than in standard gas stations (~1$ more per gallon).

Back home, I complained to my local agent.

After a few messages it had taken some two weeks to get 66$ back from Budget on my credit card.

Anyway, reading the bad comments about the Hyatt Regency agent, I would probably better rent my car at their SFO Airport office.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

I recommend reading Peter Greenberg's "Unlocking the Mysteries of Renting a Car" here: petergreenberg.com/2008/…

If you don't mind doing a little more work to research public transit options, it's often less of a hassle and cheaper than having a car. San Francisco is particularly transit friendly.

you can use http://transit.google.com to find point to point directions even with just entering landmarks with the city/state.

6. Re: Budget Rent a Car at Hyatt Regency Embarcadero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 06:26