We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Dakota
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

4 couples meeting for 5 days in San Francisco. Am wondering if Chancellor Hotel better than Galleria Park hotel. Have been told not to get one close to Tenderloin area but it looks to me that Union Square area has most the hotels compared to other areas. Trying to find a place not cheap but not too expensive either. Any suggestions appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

If you provide a budget per room per night we can offer more suggestions. Location-wise the Chancellor is closer to a lot of shopping, dining and public transit. It's on Powell & Post whereas The Galleria Park Hotel, on Sutter & Kearny, is about an 8 minute walk to Macy's Union Square, but is still central to public transit and has an excellent bar and restaurant downstairs called Midi, using local ingredients, i.e., fresh, not jarred or canned, juice in the cocktails. Tonight Midi was projecting Monday Night Football on a gigantic screen.

Larkspur Union Square Hotel is also newly renovated and the Marriott Union Square is newly redone.

After dark, best to not walk west of Taylor St., south of O'Farrell St., and stay east of 6th St. if on Market or South of Market -- taking public transit through the Tenderloin and Civic Center is not a problem.

Everywhere on public transit, like in any metropolitan city, you need to keep your belongings in your sight, not in pockets and backpack's pockets on your back. Best to have it down by your feet if standing or on your lap when sitting. There are just opportunists looking for people with their guard down on the bigger buses like the 38 Geary, buses through Haight Ashbury like 22 Fillmore and 71 Haight and the trolley that traverses Market from Fisherman's Wharf/Embarcadero to Castro Street -- the F Market.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

The Chancellor is not a large hotel......it is an historic boutique from, I believe, 1915....but is a great small hotel, with a fantastic staff and management, and I recommend it hightly. The location, 1/2 block from Union Square, is excellent.

The rooms were redecorated in a classy manner not too long ago.

I have stayed at the Galleria Park, but it was several years ago, so I can not compare the two at this point, except that I prefer the location of the Chancellor.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

Stick with the Chancellor____perfect location and great value for money.

I have put the link to my recent review of the hotel.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d1156…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

Don't know how you narrowed it down to these two hotels. The Galleria Park is nice but it's closer to the Financial District while the Chancellor is right on Union Square. I vote Chancellor, definitely. However, if they're booked there are tons of other options on/closer to the square. If you need recommendations, come back and let us know.

5. Re: Mid December visit looking for hotel recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 06:18