We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco eats!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco eats!

We will be In the area for 3 Nights In July(includeing the 4th) and wanted some dinning Ideas. I have been looking,and really have not been able to see what I wanted,I was looking for something fun while good to.Someting like red robin,its me and and my son(will be 17 at the time) and we like to try new places we like all typ of food(fish not really crazy about It) but the experice Is just as Importain as the food. Is there any fun places to eat In and around the wharf or area.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco eats!

I do not know what "red robin" is. If you can desciribe the type of food we may be able to help you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,969 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco eats!

Red Robin is like Applebees, Chili's and Islands as a reference point.

So American diner food.

Fog City Diner is all that comes to mind for me.

My favorite places tend to be Italian & Seafood in SF or high end steak. I am drawing blanks on dinner places like Fog City.

Shoreline,wa
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco eats!

Sorry about that,I thought Red robins was national restraunt chain. Ya If i could compare it to its Chillis. We just like fun enviroments to eat Into.Where the area you are around Is as good as the food you are eating. 1 good example Is Mexican restraunts,where they In gulf you In that spanish ,southwest feel I guess thats the closest I can come to It.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco eats!

There are a couple of Max's Diners and Mel's Diners in town. But for a city with such diversity in dining possibilities, it's too bad to limit yourself to "American diner" food.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco eats!

try Taylor's Automatic Refresher, Pearl's, and the new Burger Bar.

http://www.taylorsautomaticrefresher.com

http://www.fleurdelyssf.com

yelp.com/biz/pearls-deluxe-burgers-san-franc…

Around the wharf, Bistro Boudin might be a good choice.

www.boudinbakery.com/locations/Bistro_Boudin

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco eats!

Yeah Mel's is probally the best for that type of food.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco eats!

I have the strong suspicion that "diner food" is a red herring, introduced by one of the early respondents. I see nothing in either the OP's initial posting or followup that references an interest in diners or diner foods. To the contrary in the initial posting the OP wrote "we like to try new places we like all typ of food(fish not really crazy about It)."

What I think the OP is trying to tell us is that they consider the restaurant's ambiance and the overall dining "experience" offered is as important to them as the actual food, with Red Robin being offered up as an example of a restaurant that offers this balance of food and experience. In their followup posting the OP wrote "....Where the area you are around Is as good as the food you are eating. 1 good example Is Mexican restraunts,where they In gulf you In that spanish ,southwest feel....", which I'm translating to read "....where your surroundings are as good as the food. One good example are (?) Mexican restaurants which engulf you in that Spanish, southwest feeling....".

So for that balance of ambiance and food, how about:

- Tadich Grill - Classic, old-school San Francisco seafood and chop house. Lacks the corporate warmth and bounce that I imagine (never been to one) a Red Robin offers, but it's got that balance. Albeit in a lousy location, The Old Clam House on Bayshore also has that old and comfortable feel.

- Dim Sum, NOT at one of the rarified dim sum as art places like Yank Sing, but down and dirty like Gold Mountain or Y Ben House. You've got 85 dB of background noise, the clatter of plates and servers calling out their offerings, and families and friends carrying on as they eat to give you that transported to a foreign country feeling.

- El Mansour - You step through the door and (insert Star Trek transporter shimmery noise here) you're transported from the foggy Richmond District to a Sultan's tent in Morocco. Recline on cushions, eat with your hands, watch the belly dancer do her thing.....

- AsiaSF - Turn of the century decor (that is between the 20th and 21st centuries), sort of a Hard Rock Cafe (and I imaging Red Robin) corporate sanitized version of a Southeast Asian kathoey club without the fears of morning after questions about what you did last night with whom and what this means in terms of your sexuality, as well potential downstream bouts with XDR STDs. As it's a restaurant (there's a crappy disco in the basement) there's no problem bringing in the 17 year old son, except if they have the typical 17 year old appetite they may have to go for a burger or three later on, and some of the hostesses may take a shine to him if he blushes.

-

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco eats!

Francis Ford Coppola's restaurant has the wine restaurant/Italian feel and film history: http://www.cafecoppola.com/cafezoetrope/

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco eats!

Have you eaten at Cheesecake Factory? There's one at Macy's in Union Square...the menu has something for everyone. Brandy Ho's is good for Chinese. Boudin Bakery on the wharf if you like clam chowder in a bread bowl. Good ice cream in San Francisco too, look for Double Rainbow....Joe's.......Mitchell's....Ghiradelli's. Tony's Pizza on Stockton at Union (North Beach). In n Out Burger on Jefferson Street. You can ask directions from your hotel.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco eats!

Cheesecake factory gets the thumbs up every time from me!!!!