We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco vs New Orleans

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco vs New Orleans

Not sure it will be any help but the brief is flying from the UK, 3-4 nights before flying on to New York and can't make my mind up on which would be best as never been to both and want to!

Not much to go on but any advise would be greatly appreciated

Help!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

What time of year? NO will be hot and sticky in summer and SF has its morning fog. 2 totally different cities.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

I see you smartly put your question on the NO forum as well. I think between Tet's response and the one's there you got good info. I haven't been to NO since Katrina but it is smaller (and more so now).

But, I'd let time of year be the determining factor ... if it's summer (May-September), come to SF. We actually have great weather all year round but there is a liklihood of rain (we hope it rains anyway) in the December - March months.

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

Thanks, I thought I better put on both forums, double the responses! I will be coming in April next year, and if I am honest from my research (being based in the UK you rely on websites or rough guides) SF seems to have more to do but NO a greater variety in culinary culture, choice, nightlife...then again I will probably be very wrong!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

I agree with your statement about the food and entertainment. The French Quarter Festival is April 9-11 next year. It's aweswome. Three days is New Orleans can give you a wonderful "taste" ,if you will ,of the culture, etc we have to offer. HOWEVER....San Francisco is one of my favorite places on the planet. Three days will only make you wish you had more time. Try New Orleans on this trip, then plan an extended vacation in S.F. It's fabulous!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

If you like to get drunk and party, no place beats New Orleans. SF is more about great views and a variety of fascinating neighborhoods.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

Just because of the short time (3-4 nights), I would probably go to NO and save SF for when you have more time.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

For Food NO with out a doubt. Historical Interest both great. For sights in a days drive SF wins hands down!

Over all I'd pick SF BUT Man Is That Food something Special on the Bayou!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

New Orleans has better food than San Francisco? This is news to me! New Orleans may have better southern food, but it is the south after all... SF blows NO out of the water last I checked. Which admittedly was prior to Katrina. Almost exactly two months before Katrina, in fact!

Anyway, SF and NO are completely different. What are you traveling for besides food and nightlife? With just those two requirements, you'd be fine in either city. So we need some additional sense of what you're looking for...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

If you are coming to see a city, San Francisco has one of the best locations in the world and is truly spectacular. For that reason I'd pick SF hands down. That said, april is a great time to visit NO as well. Maybe see what direct flights are available from UK to either SF and NO. With such a short amount of time I would want to pick the direct flight.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco vs New Orleans

We do have Popeyes Chicken, so you can get New Orleans-style food here.