We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Outlets

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Outlets

Hi I'm travelling to San Francisco in March for 5 days and i wanted to do a bit of outlet shopping. I don't have very long so I don't want to go too far. I'll have to travel by bus. Has anybody been to any good outlets? thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Outlets

if you enter "outlets" in the forum search window, you'll see several dozen posts on the first page discussing this very topic. Here is one example: tripadvisor.com/…11890363

If you look at the Top Questions on the right, you'll find places that are not outlets: "Where is the best fashion shopping?" -- locally.

If you don't have a car, it is very tedious to do the outlet shopping by public transit.

Edited: 22 December 2009, 22:31
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Outlets

Unfortunately, there are no outlet malls easily accessible from SF by public transit. They are all about an hour's drive away by car.

There are individual stores like Ross, Marshall's, and Burlington Coat Factory that offer discounted prices and are within walking distance of Union Square. Since all women like to shop (and this being SF, some of the guys, too,) the women (and some guys) on this group can give you more specific advice about outlet-style places to shop in SF than I can, though.

ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Outlets

Thanks for your replies and your help I suppose to be honest I hate shopping but being from Ireland I feel it would be a missed opportunity not to outlet shop while in San Francisco as we pay three times as much for EVERYTHING over here! If I could get good value within the city I'd love to skip the big bus trip but I'm not sure about whether the outlets are much much cheaper than regular shops in the states. Any of your thoughts are so welcome.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Outlets

Frankly, I don't get outlet malls. Even at places like Nordstrom Rack the merchandise doesn't look like it'd be allowed in the back door of any Nordstrom store.

Check Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, Lohman's -- all in the city. And I believe Macy's is still giving a (was it?) 11% discount for foreign visitors. Go up to Customer Service on one of the upper floors, show your passport and get a discount card (sounds like discrimination to me but we enjoy the sales taxes you all pay!).

The only decent outlet store I ever saw was Coach -- there's one in Carmel and one in Napa Valley -- both over an hour away.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Outlets

Honestly, the outlets are not that much cheaper, especially after you factor in the cost and hassle of reaching them. It may not matter too much to you, but generally they're either selling unpopular stuff, unsold stuff from last year, or things that have minor defects. If you're paying three times as much in Ireland, things will seem plenty inexpensive if you go to the discount stores within the city. The above posters have given you some good pointers on where to go.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Outlets

I would really discourage you from taking time out of your visit to San Francisco to visit an outlet. Public transportation to Vacaville or Gilroy, the two best known, would be tedious and time consuming, taking a whole day out of your trip.

Sal gave you some names of stores IN San Francisco which offer discounts. I would shop there.

I also agree with her that, in my experience, the merchandise in the outlets is inferior. And you should take into consideration what transportation to these place would cost.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Outlets

Oh, you outlet naysayers. i rode out to Cabazon and The Mills in Ontario last Saturday with my neice and wow, there were bargains galore. Ed Hadley long sleeved T's for $30! Calvin Klein Jeans and slacks $20! beautiful Leather man bags at Fossil $45! Velour blankets, full sized at JC Penney outlet $20! Puma track jackets $20!

I love those outlet bargains, but Gilroy is such a long, painful trip on public transporation. Petaluma is okay, but not as big and interesting as Gilroy...and nothing tops Cabazon and the Mills.

Ah well...Happy Bargain Shopping!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Outlets

Unfortunately, OP won't be anywhere near Cabazon.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Outlets

Gads, I think I've seen the same stuff at Costco or Target!

ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping Outlets

Thank you all so much for your imput I think I'll just skip the outlets and enjoy an extra day in the city. You have all provided me with super advice. Merry Christmas!