We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Carlton or...

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Carlton or...

We're coming to San Francisco to see the Tut exhibit and there's gonna be 3 adults and 4 kids in our group. I'm having a really hard time deciding on which hotel to stay at.. Right now it's between the Hotel Carlton, the Sheraton on the wharf or the Holiday Inn Express on the wharf. I'm leaning towards the Carlton because we can get a room for $83 a night there and this would make it really easy for us to stay 2 nights. On the other hand though I can pay a little more $109 at the sheraton, $120 at the HIE and at least have the kids meals included and we can afford that but of course I'd rather save as much as I can to spend out and about in the city.

I'm also concerned because we drive a Tahoe and the carlton said we may not be able to park it in their garage.

Do you think our family would be happy staying at the carlton? We stayed at the Triton years ago and loved that cute little boutique hotel feel and it sounds like the Carlton may be similar to that but I'm not sure.

I'd really love any opinions or advice :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

The Carlton is fine for the inside itself, but the neighborhood is less kid-friendly than the Wharf as it is a more residential/local retail area with a proximity to the Tenderloin within a few blocks. You found great prices at the Wharf hotels and you'll be investing in a better time at that location.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

Have you had a look at the columbus Motor Inn.

It is close to the Wharf , free parking and has large rooms / family suites that might suit you.

http://columbusmotorinn.com/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

I will second the Columbus Motor Inn. It is on a quiet section of Columbus Avenue, walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf but away from all the craziness, and, as Oskar said, they do have family suites. No restaurant, but two or three good breakfast places just down the block.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,011 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

The Carlton is about a half mile from Union Square, which is the center of much of the visitor activity in the City & where the biggest choice of dining, shopping, entertainment, and public transit can be found. Around the Carlton, there just isn't that much to interest kids or families, especially in the evening.

As Obsidian said, it's on the edge of the Tenderloin. Well, so is Union Square, TBH, but at least Union Square has all those other advantages.

I second the idea of a motor lodge. There are some good ones near the Wharf and along Lombard Street, which is called Motel Row. The blocks between 1400 and 2500 have scores of motels and motor inns of various quality; the lower the number, the closer to downtown and the Wharf, and the higher the number, the closer to the Golden Gate Bridge, the xploratorium, and GG Park where the Tut exhibit is. (But the distance is pretty negligible). There are also lots of restaurants along Lombard and the nearby retail streets of the Marina,

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

Looking at the pics of the columbus motor inn I'm surprised it has such great reviews, it kind of looks like a dump. The trip advisor pics are actually better than the photos on the hotel website. Might be worth checking out, thanks for the input.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

I really like the Carlton, it gets a very international group of guests and has an eclectic vibe as a result. If the kids were teens and perhaps urban-savvy I might say 'go for it,' But if they're younger, or aren't familar with an urban atmosphere, it probably isn't the best choice.

Another alternative is the Del Sol which is just off the Lombard St. "motel row" that FRR described. It has a pool, which many kids (myself included when I was one) always love. It has a couple of suites as well. That neighborhood is good with kids as there are *lots* of restaurants around (good breakfast places, pizza places, diners, etc). It's also near the Exploratorium is you have extra time. Also, you can catch the bus to Golden Gate Park very easily if you don't want to drive -- catch the #28 at Chestnut and Laguna and get off at Park Presidio and Fulton. Cross both PP, then Fulton and you'll enter the Park through the Rose Garden. You'll come onto Kennedy Drive right at the back of the deYoung.

Enjoy Tut. And spend a little extra time checking out the Amish Quilts upstairs in the Textile Gallery. They are amazing and definitely worth half an hour or so (or more!). (There's no extra charge to access the permanent collection of the deYoung, or the Amish Quits, with your Tut tickets.)

Edited: 09 January 2010, 16:08
7. Re: Hotel Carlton or...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2010, 05:17