We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sfo v oak airports

NJ
Level Contributor
861 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
sfo v oak airports

If we get a hotel in San Franscico how easy / hard is it to get to the AP in Oakland? The flights are about $50 - $75 cheaper. Do we lose the savings in time, aggravation or transportation costs?

TIA

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sfo v oak airports

It's a bit more of a hassle if you take BART. BART stops at SFO, whereas you have to take a shuttle bus to a BART station from OAK.

Taxis and shuttle buses will cost more from OAK.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sfo v oak airports

Have a look at the BART web site, http://www.bart.gov to get an idea of how much the fares will cost you. I think the shuttle from OAK to the Coliseum/Airport BART station is $3 per adult ($1 per child under 12)

p.s. Baron45, your avatar ROCKS! Just sayin' ...

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sfo v oak airports

Saving $50-$75 by flying into Oakland outweighs the slight extra hassle of using the Oakland Airport BART shuttle.

NJ
Level Contributor
861 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sfo v oak airports

Great. Thanks.

In NJ where I live, even if I would save $75 by flying out of LGA or JFK rather than EWR I lose the savings by adding another hour travel & the costs of the bridges & tunnels so there is no savings.

Glad SFO .v. OAK isn't like that.

sf, ca
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sfo v oak airports

Yea - save the time and expense.....SFO is only 15/20 minutes from downtown SF

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sfo v oak airports

By BART, it takes nearly the exact same amount of time to travel from SF's Powell Station to either SFO or OAK. It's actually a couple bucks cheaper to go to OAK, as the AirBART $3 shuttle fare is less than the surcharge placed on train travel to/from SFO. More info here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-s301/San-Franc…

A non-monetary issue to consider is flight reliability. It was recently announced that OAK has the best on-time flight arrival performance of any major American airport. In contrast, SFO is often plagued by weather-related delays.

Anecdote: I was just in Las Vegas for a short vacation, and had booked a flight back to SFO via Virgin America. (I normally fly into OAK using Southwest.) As luck would have it, SF was hit with a major storm, and my flight was delayed by 5 hours! Flights into OAK did not suffer nearly as much!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sfo v oak airports

davdaven's anecdote is true. I was booked on UA's 10:25AM flight from San Diego to SF yesterday. I got to the airport in SD at 8:45 -- the 8:20 flight was showing an ETD of 9:45. I rebooked to that flight ... and it left at 10:50. I believe my original 10:25 flight finally left around noon. Upon landing at SFO, we were routed onto what is usually a departure runway because of winds.

What I don't like about OAK is waiting twice. Once for the shuttle to the BART station -- which is frequently packed when it does finally arrive. And then hauling luggage around a station that wasn't really designed for it, and waiting again for the BART train. At SFO, I've never had to wait for a train -- since it's the end of the line there is (almost always) an empty train waiting. It may take 5+ minutes for it to get underway but I'd rather be sitting on the train than standing on a cold platform. And SFO's AirTrain from the terminal to the BART station run very frequently -- about every 2-3 minutes.

However, if you do use OAK, definitely take BART into the city. The road travel north and then over the Bay Bridge is frequently slow. It's much easier to drive from SFO into SF.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sfo v oak airports

Oakland has the best on time record in the entire US of A. SFO is at the other end of the spectrum.

9. Re: sfo v oak airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:18