We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Hotel

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Hotel

Hi

Im looking at hotels in San Francisco for a five night stay. Its part of a bigger trip so the budget is tight. approx $80 - $100 per night.

From what I have read Union Square is a good well placed area to see the city. I have found the King George hotel which is coming in at the bottom end of my budget but looks reasonable Im not looking for anything fancy.

Does anybody have any experience of this hotel the rate is available through hotels.com and fully refundable so Im tempted to book it and keep my eyes open.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,859 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Hotel

We have stayed at this hotel several times (we go into the city several weekends a year.) It is in an excellent location, a block and a half from Union Square.

The lobby is charming...in traditional English style, of course. The elevator is very small. The rooms are clean and comfortable and vary in size. There is a small 'business center' with three computers, and a 'tea room' where English teas are served, on weekends, I believe. This space is also where a breakfast is served. I don't believe it was included, but don't remember.

http://tinyurl.com/yhlh8a4

If it is $100 or under,I would definitely book it, especially since it is refundable. That is a low rate for a decent San Francisco hotel.

You might also try hotelres.com which is a consolidator San Francisco hotels use. Their rates are usually discounted from rack rates, but we always check the hotel's web site in case they are having in house specials.

If you find something you like, within your rates, come back and we can give you some feedback

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,859 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Hotel

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply Its coming in at $90 a night with a discount code, It would be less but the Saturday rate is slightly higher.

Not booked my flights yet but im pretty firm on my San Francisco dates and with it being refundable I think I will go for it.

One final questing. Is a Queen bed larger or smaller than a standard double.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Hotel

A queen bed is larger than a standard double. Enjoy your stay!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Hotel

A Queen bed is larger than a standard double and smaller than a King bed. :~)

A standard double is 53" x 75", a Queen is 60" x 80", and a King is 76" x 80".

I think you are wise to sew up a reservation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Hotel

Have a look at the hilton hotel website and check out the rates at the one at union square. There's currently a special rate of USD$109 per night and I have booked ourselves 3 nights. Hope this helps.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Hotel

Hi

Thanks for the help. I have booked the king george but being the compulsive checker I am I have already found another deal although this time its non refundable.

As suggested above its with the Hilton Near Union Square the two offers are as follows

Queen Bed - Non Refundable $110 per night

Room selected at check in (King or 2 Doubles) - Non Refundable $ 110 per night.

This is pretty much the same rate as the king george.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,859 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Hotel

The King George and the Hilton are within half a block of each other. They are two different animals. The Hilton is a large, impersonal convention hotel. The King George may not have as many amenities, but I prefer it.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
898 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Hotel

You should really check out Hotwire or Priceline. The rates have been very good lately, and through sites like BetterBidding, you can ID what hotels you get in HW.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Hotel

Just be aware if you use Hotwire or Priceline you do not know which hotel you will get...it's a guessing game. And you pay upfront and if something happens and you cannot make the reservation, too bad. Your money is gone.

I don't play that game. I want to know where I am staying and I want to deal with the hotel, not Priceline or Hotwire.

Whatever.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Hotel

Puter,

For what it's worth in many (most?) cases you can be pretty darn certain what hotel you're getting with Hotwire, or at least have it down to a *very* short list. Of course, there is always the chance you will be the first one to get a some wildcard (new) hotel, but in my experience with Hotwire (~1/2 dozen times) I have always gotten the specific hotel I expected.

Harder to identify the hotel with Priceline, but not impossible (easier in smaller markets/area). That said, you often know that you're talking about a pretty short list of possibilities.

As said the size of the market/area has a big impact on how certain you can be; if there's only one 4* hotel you can be pretty sure that's the one you'll get. While there is less chance of certainty if there are ten 4* hotels, it is possible to determine what hotel they're offering. Also, having more hotels obviously increases the chance of a wildcard.

You certainly are right about paying up front, etc and if that's an issue, don't do it. But let's face it that's part of the price you pay for getting a bargain rate on the room. It's worth noting that I probably average 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rack rate when going Hotwire or Priceline and have gotten as low as ~1/3rd of the rate found on general travel and/or hotel websites.

I'll just close by pointing out that I would never use either of them when I think there is any possibility of ending up in a true fleabag/dive hotel (i.e. wouldn't ask for a 1* Union Square Hotel, I've walked Geary Street).

hlo

Edited: 21 January 2010, 19:59
Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,859 Reviews
San Francisco, CA