We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sg
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Is Newark Blvd or fremont a better area to stay in? Any shopping centre or sights around either of the vicinity? Is public transit accessible around these areas? Thks.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Newark Blvd. is the name of a street in the city of Newark. There is a shopping mall there called Newpark Mall. It's not a very good mall though. There are no sights in either Newark or Fremont that tourists would be interested in. Just up the road about 2 miles is the Fremont Hub, in Fremont, also an average shopping mall.

Why do you want to stay there? Are you here on business? If you are here primarily to visit SF then you should stay in SF.

The only reasons to stay in Newark/Fremont I can think of are: business trip, visiting friends/relatives.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Not sure why the previous poster is knocking Newpark Mall as it is a large typical mall with most of the normal stores.

I would agree the Fremont/Newark area is not particularly interesting for tourists just a couple of decent middle class communities. If you are looking for lower hotel rates The Hampton Inn in Hayward would be better as it is but about 3 blocks to BART. In Fremont/Newark there are no Hotels near the BART stations.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Well...compared to any mall in Singapore, Newpark Mall really isn't that impressive, and most of my friends in the UC/Newark/Fremont area drive to Stoneridge in Pleasanton instead.

Why Fremont? It's not somewhere to stay unless you're visiting nearby family. I can't think of any sights in the area. San Francisco is about 45 min - 1 hour from Fremont by BART train and would be much more interesting if you're wanting to sight-see or shop.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Well I certainly am no fan of any malls other than a place to walk during inclement weather the only real difference between the two Malls you mentioned is the Pleasanton mall has Norstroms which is of course a premier Department Store. Other then that both have mostly the same old tiresome chains with The Newark one also having a Target something you would not find in Singapore. .

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

I would not recommend staying in Newark or Fremont for any reason, even to conduct local business or visit family, if you will not have an automobile and/or you plan to drive during rush hour. Neither suburb has especially good public transit service, although you can get from many locations to a BART station via local bus service (AC Transit), and freeway traffic is heavy in all directions during the AM and PM rush hours. Expect to waste a lot of time (and money) either way.

Also, there are no noteworthy shopping, dining, or cultural destinations in either suburb. (New Park Mall is a joke.)

If your intention is to visit San Francisco, there are far better situated hotels to consider that are much closer to the action and/or public transit lines, either at a low price or more upscale.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

I wasn't knocking Newpark Mall, just pointing out that it's just an average mall. It's not a destination shopping area like Sanatana Row, or downtown Walnut Creek, or Union Square.

Ok, now I'll knock Newpark Mall. It's below average as far as malls go, low end stores, the building itself is pretty mundane, really no reason to go there if you have a choice.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Touché'! As I attempted to state I do not care a Rat's Behind about any Mall so feel free to rant!

PS None of the three shopping areas you mentioned are technically malls! Smile

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Well, OP hasn't come back. But from his/her profile, it seems he/she is visiting Los Angeles and Las Vegas as well, and shopping questions are part of all the posts for those places. From my personal knowledge, shopping is an obsession for visitors from Singapore.

gnoh, if you're still around, please tell us your main purpose for coming to California. If this a shopping trip, we won't waste your/our time talking about visitor attractions. If you are not sure why you're interested in Newark or Fremont but picked them out of a hat, mix up all the names and pick again.

Seriously, if you are serious about visiting San Francisco, staying in Newark or Fremont will be an enormous mistake.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

"From my personal knowledge, shopping is an obsession for visitors from Singapore."

I'm not normally one to stereotype, but having lived there and visited many times since...it's kind of true. Shopping is definitely a national past time in SG.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 02:43
Sg
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark Blvd or Fremont?

Hi all, my apologies for the late response. Wanted to find out more about these areas coz a tour that I saw online indicated the hotel provided is in one of these areas. Your advices are much appreciated.