We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

Hi ~ We have never been to San Francisco and are considering vacation rentals versus hotels. I found one in the Richmond section (near Geary Street), Twin Peaks, and also Noe Valley. Which location would be easiest accessible to the tourist sites? Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

Richmond district is easiest as there are more public buses along Geary, Clement and California Streets, as well as transfer points to other buses such as the 43 Masonic, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero buses. All can be viewed on the MUNI System map: www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/indxmaps.htm

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

I think Noe Valley is the nicest of these locations. Twin Peaks is definitely not very convenient. If you have exact addresses or cross streets we can provide a better perspective.

The Richmond could be all the way out at the beach, and therefore a long haul into town.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

Is the one in the Richmond on Geary at 24th? I know someone who rented that place before. I think it's a great neighborhood... since I live there!

Pros: VERY, local feel to it, almost no tourists. Lots of great places to eat, hole in the walls, mom and pop, as well as upscale. Aziza got a Michelin nod, as the best Moroccan in the City. Chapeau is a great neighborhood French place. There are 3 Burmese restaurants in the area, THREE! Tons of Chinese food on the cheap, sushi, Indian, pizza, Mexican, Korean, Russian, Seafood, etc... Close to museums (De Young and Academy of Sciences, and the Legion of Honor). Close to the Golden Gate Bridge. Close to the Cliff House and Golden Gate Park. Close to Haight Ashbury.

Cons: If it's the one I'm thinking of, the apartment happens to be next to a local bar. The people who stayed there said it wasn't a big deal. There are people there until about midnight, sometimes on the street. They're locals, so no real trouble makers, it's just a bar not a club or anything huge. The weather out there is foggy much of the year. A ride on 38 is your best bet, but takes a little while to get downtown or Fisherman's wharf. I'm guessing a ride to Union Square is about 45 minutes. But the bus comes really frequently, but can be crowded.

If you like the local feel and don't mind a little fog, I'd do it! Let me know if you do, and I can get you a restaurant list.

Noe Valley and Twin Peaks are great too! You can't really go wrong, just depends on what you're looking for. (give us the cross streets and we can tell you more about each if you like).

Edited: 24 January 2010, 02:21
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

Is the rental in the Inner or Outer Richmond? Also, will you be renting a car?

With a rental car, parking will be a challenge in either Richmond district and most of Noe Valley. Parking will be easier in Twin Peaks.

In terms of location, Noe Valley is nicest and reasonable central. The Inner Richmond is also reasonably central. The Outer Richmond and Twin Peaks are not.

I suggest looking for rentals in other neighborhoods, too. Specifically, give Japantown, the Mission (not to be confused with the Multimedia Gulch or Outer Mission), Inner Sunset, South Beach, Hayes Valley, and Duboce Triangle a try. I can't vouch for any properties, but these are convenient locations to use as a base for touring.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 10:00
Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

The listing just says Richmond/Seacliff. We will probably rent a car, not sure if it would be for the whole trip. We are still trying to figure that out. We plan to stay in SF for a few nights, then definitely rent a car to drive to Yosemite for 4 nights, then back to SF for 4 more nights. It would be great to have the vacation rental on the latter half after we had spent some time acclimating ourselves. Plus we'd want a car for a daytrip to the wine country. So, what I am thinking is with the rental we'd have a car with us.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

The part of the Richmond near Seacliff is a nice neighborhood but it is quite a ways from downtown (Seacliff starts at about 25th Ave and runs all the way to Lincoln Park). Convenient bus routes are #1 California, #2 Clement or #38 Geary.

This area is, however, quite convenient for getting to the Golden Gate Bridge to head north.

Noe Valley is easy via the J Church and is faster as it goes underground at Market. We recently had a trip report from an extended family who had an apartment in Noe Valley: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k330245…

Parking is an issue at either spot ... is it available with the rental?

I would suggest you query both owners for an exact address or street and cross streets.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 14:56
7. Re: Vacation Rental ~ Richmond/Twin Peaks/Noe Valley??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:17