We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to San Francisco

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
353 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to San Francisco

I have pretty much sorted my road trip taking me from San Francisco down the coast before finally reaching Las Vegas but I am stuck on the best way to get from Las Vegas to San Francisco.

I plan to leave LV first thing in the morning and head towards San Francisco stopping overnight somewhere along the way before dropping our car off at noon in San Francisco the following day.

I have not managed to fit yosemite national park into my trip and wondered if this would be a good comprimise. We are travelling in the middle of May.

LA
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco

You will have to drive the southern route from LV to San Francisco in mid-May, as the eastern entrance into Yosemite, over Tioga Pass will be closed.

You don't really have enough time to visit Yosemite.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco

That route is long and not very interesting. If it were I, I would try to get a car in SF with no drop-off fee in Las Vegas and fly one of the cheap airlines, Southwest, etc. back to San Francisco. You would save on an overnight lodging, two days car rental, not to mention gas and meals.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco

Puter's suggestion is worth looking into, but if you really need to drive back my suggestion would be to:

Drive from LV to South Lake Tahoe via Hwy 95/ 395 (this will take close to 10 hours, so you'll need to leave early if you want to see the lake before sunset.)

Spend the night in S. Lake Tahoe - leave by 7:30 the next morning to head back to SF to ensure that you get there by noon.

Most other routes will be much less scenic, but some will get you back to SF quicker.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco

Hi

I have done that in the other direction, taking 2 nights to do it, this was in April.

1 night Bakersfield

1 night El Portal ( visiting Yosemite)

next day onto San Fran, whistle stop visit but we saw enough all the main attractions.

Clive

Edited: 25 January 2010, 14:23
5. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:19