We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galway,
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Hey everyone

Me and a friend are heading to San Francisco on the 27th may for 3 nights...We are looking for some help on picking a hotel, i know everyone has said that Union square is the best place to go... We want somewhere lively maybe a hotel with a bar but our budget is aaround $100 a night? can anyone reccommend anywhere... was looking at the King George seems like a nice hotel... any other suggestions would be great...

Thanks in advance....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

$100 is difficult to find in May as it is nearly peak convention season, however you'll find it if you want something very basic and bars in walking distance, The Andrews Hotel, Baldwin Hotel, Hotel Cornell de France, are some examples. Read reviews on TA and view the photos provided by reviewers on the photo tab at the right of the hotel's TA page.

convention calendar: http://www.sfcvb.org/convention/calendar.asp (night of 5/29/2010 may be higher than the first two nights you book due to the large convention at the end of the month expecting its first check-ins that night; I'd book sooner than later)

Edited: 26 January 2010, 02:16
Galway,
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Thank you for your help and the tip on the convention as I had noticed how the price would go up on the Saturday night. Out of the hotels you recommended would they be very basic? have you heard anything about the King George? Also in regards to things to do, we are thinking of doing the Alcatraz tour by night is there any other touristy stuff we can do?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Have you looked into Hotwire maybe? If your days are definite and you can deal with a non-refundable purchase, it may be a good option.

For those dates, I'm seeing a 2.5* Hotel in Union Sq West for $95, a 3.5* in USW for $123, a 3* in Fisherman's Wharf for $77 and a 3.5* in Fisherman's Wharf for $89.

If you visit betterbidding.com, they can assist with figuring out which hotels these are, or at least narrowing it down to a couple.

I recently got a $279/night hotel in LA for $144/night and couldn't be happier. I did the research and was 95% sure which hotel I was going to get when I clicked the final confirm button.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

<< we are thinking of doing the Alcatraz tour by night is there any other touristy stuff we can do? >>

Definitely book Alcatraz ahead. There are only 5 night tours a week and they are popular. www.alcatrazcruises.com

When you ask about other touristy stuff ... do you mean at night or just in general?

Vitoria
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Try to bid $100-$110 at Priceline (Embarcadero) and you have a great chance to get Hyatt Regency.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
346 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Hi GalwayGirl

I have the King George booked for the beginning of May had a search about the forum and seemed to get good reviews. I asked specifically about it on here and was told it was a good deal for $100 or less.

My booking is refundable with hotels.com so Im still keeping a look out for better deals.

Galway,
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Hey everyone

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions... Ramblinsal in regards to touristy stuff we would be interested in suggestions for day or night? just to make the most of our time there...

In regards to the suggestions on the hotels, I have looked into hotwire and priceline but ive never used them before and not too sure on how it works... from i can figure out is if i bid $100 on a 4**** hotel in union square if they can find one available I have to pay upfront without knowing the name until its confirmed? and what would be the chances of getting a 4**** in union square for around that price?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

We have stayed at the King George several times. If you can get it at your budgeted price, take it. The location is good and it is a comfortable and pleasant hotel.

The sites where you "bid" usually take your money when you make the reservations and to not allow for a cancellation if you should need to change your plans.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Puter is correct.

Both Hotwire and Priceline charge your card immediately and any refund for after booking is (all but?) impossible. That is part of the price you pay for the bargain you will (hopefully) get.

To give an illustration. Earlier today I was helping a friend on a trip he's taking this summer. The Hotwire rate I found for a 3.5* hotel (not in SF) was ~35% of the TA "average rate" and ~55% of the best ("rack") rate found using TA's "check rate" feature. Projected savings for his stay, $125 - 160 (he's not sure if he'll stay 4 or 5 nights).

I suggest you check out:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

and/or

http://www.betterbidding.com/

to learn more about Hotwire and/or Priceline and I *ABSOLUTELY* recommend reading them for tip, hints, tricks and general information if you're going to try to book your hotel using either of them.

Hope this is helpful,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels In San Fran!!! Help please

Haven't we had reports here that you must have a US address to use Hotwire/Priceline?