We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Explain Areas to Me

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
staten island
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Please Explain Areas to Me

I will be visiting SF with my husband, 15 yo son and 13 yo daugher. I was last in SF when I was about 8 (long time ago). I am trying to figure out the areas of SF. How far are all the tourist areas from each other. Is the wharf area a good place to stay with kids? How are the hotels there? Is it easy to use public transportation or should we rent a car when we arrive at the airport. When we leave SF we will need a car as we are planning on taking the coast to San Diego, stopping along the way. Can we rent a car from one of the hotels when we check out (Avis, Hertz etc.) Any recommedations for a hotel would be appreciated. Higher end hotel is good. Views would be nice, but convenience and definitely cleanliness is the most important. I guess i'm asking a lot, but living in New York I know that things can get confusing in big cities. Would like to see as much as we can in about 3 days. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Explain Areas to Me

San Francisco is compact and easy to get around to see attractions on public transit. visit www.sfmta.com and explore the "TRANSIT" section for information.

You don't need a car until you want to leave the city across a bridge to explore nature, even then there are ferries and buses that just take a little longer. You can find a lot to do in this similar discussion on the forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k338114…

High end hotel with water views are at the Argonaut at Fisherman's Wharf which is family friendly or along the Embarcadero around the Ferry Building area at Hyatt Regency, Hotel Vitale, http://www.jdvhotels.com/vitale/?cid=GL_VIT

Hotel Griffin www.hotelgriffon.com or Harbor Court www.harborcourthotel.com

this site contains a list of SF neighborhoods: www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/ and I recommend particularly spending time in Union Square, North Beach, Mission District, Pacific Heights, Cow Hollow/Marina District and Noe Valley to explore eateries, parks; good for walking, with areas for people-watching and window shopping.

Haight-Ashbury is not the most pretty area as it used to be, however there are some great stores such as Amoeba Records www.amoeba.com, though, unfortunately, there are some street kids which sometimes can be a turnoff as they loiter the sidewalks, but if you ride a bus through it on the way to Golden Gate Park, you'll be able to get out at Haight & Stanyan and visit a very large music store that once housed a bowling alley called Rock N Bowl -- it's a music lovers dream; mistersf.com/farewell/index.html…

Take the #33 MUNI www.sfmuni.com/33 up through Ashbury Heights through the Castro to the Mission; it's a great way to see a few neighborhoods with a lot of hills and good views along the way

2. Re: Please Explain Areas to Me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 07:18