We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Theater

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Theater

Whilst trawling my guidbooks I came across this place and have since had a look at the website, which is not the clearest!

Anyhow, Have I understood this to be an "old school" cinema?

Is it worth the trip and does it show good older films ( 80's classics are my favourite...)

Is it a nice place or a fleapit. Is it easy to get to from Union Square area?

Thanks again

L

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Theater

The Bridge is a single-screen theatre and usually shows new releases of foreign and independent films. I don't think you need to make a special trip for it unless you want to see that particular film:

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/movies/listings/theater…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Theater

the midnight film events in SF are always quite fun. The person putting on Midnight Mass at the Bridge had the final season of it in 2009. Other theatres such as The Clay on Fillmore also do midnight movies http://blogs.myspace.com/claytheatre

There are postcard flyers around the city such as in record stores promoting midnight movies.

Midnites For Maniacs is a group that has vintage films at the Castro: http://www.midnitesformaniacs.com/

BTW, there really are no more flea pit movie theatres here and though there are some very old ones like The Roxie, Red Vic Moviehouse, Balboa Theatre, Four Star theatre. however, the one that was a roach pit, The Strand, was on Market St. and it burned down some years ago. Scary to think about the redevelopment plan going on for that building... not sure why they'd put in residences next door to a giant government building. All the better to see you, I guess. http://sf.curbed.com/tags/strand-theater

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Theater

If there is a movie you want to see there, by all means go. If there isn't don't know if it's worth a special trip.

On this topic you might also want to check out the Castro Theatre. This is the grand dame of the the SF retro/art/indie/classics movie houses (or whatever you want to call them). Nothing like arriving a little early & listening to the Mighty Wurlitzer (sp?) while you wait for your show to start.

I pretty much always check out what's going to be playing at the Castro (and all the others) before I make a trip. And, at least once or twice, one (or more) evenings have been "booked" even before I arrive because there's a movie I really want to see that will be in town.

There are LOADS of Art houses in SF, be sure and check them all. (Landmark, Castro & the other mentioned in earlier posts). Just be aware that the "quality" of the theater (not talking about the programming) vary. I'd probably put the Castro at the top and, let's see, Red Vic? at the bottom (don't get me wrong - generally like the Vic's programming, but the seats! - have they put something in instead of those rock hard benches?)

That's my $.02, you get what you pay for,

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Theater

The Castro theater is definitely where you want to go.

http://www.castrotheatre.com

There's a John Hughes retrospective coming up in a week or so.

There's nothing quite like listening to the mighty wurlitzer organ as they play "San Francisco" and the audience claps along. Then the organ sinks into the stage and the curtain goes up.

It's also terribly easy to get to - either take the F-line historic street car to the Castro (last stop) or take the subway to the Castro Street station. There are also plenty of great places to eat in the neighborhood as well.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge Theater

You are right- the castro is the way forward. What a shame we are not in San Francisco for Valentines weekends. I would have moved in for the Friday and the Saturday!

Where is it in relation to Union Square?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge Theater

As sfimporter indicates, it's easy to get to. Union Square is a couple of blocks from Market St. From there catch the F line or the underground at Powell St. station to Castro and Market. The theater is a short walk up Castro from Market.

The underground will be a very quick trip as it's only 3 (?) stops from Powell to Castro. The F line is more fun -- the historic streetcars are run on this line.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge Theater

For sure the Castro! The Bridge and other Landmark theatres are great for independent films. The 4-Star is great for a hodge-podge of films from first run to Hong Kong to midnight shows. But the Castro is the last real "movie palace" we have.

This website is a great history of the great movie houses of the last century. http://www.sfntf.org/

Click on history to see some of them. I'm quite sad about how they're gone now. I used to work at the Coronet for Art Levine. I live 2 blocks from there now and cringe at the sight of the huge building they're putting up in it's place. I'm really sad that they shut it down a few weeks before the last installment of Star Wars, since I had seen the other 5 all at the Coronet...

8. Re: Bridge Theater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 07:15