We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it cold in June?

Bristol
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Is it cold in June?

We were thinking of stopping in San Fran on route to Hawaii in June, but have heard that its cold?

Our idea was to campervan down to LA. Is it cold all down that coast?

Really fancy a hot holiday!!

Many thanksx

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it cold in June?

Bump. Im going in June too and have heard its quite cold and foggy so to dress in layers.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it cold in June?

I like the way this article describes our June weather: http://www.sanfrancisco.com/weather/

It isn't so much that it is "cold" here in June ... it's that it isn't as "warm" as people expect for California in the summer. If you're looking for heat, June in SF is not the place to find it. In fact, the California coast is not known for "hot" Junes, although it will be warmer in LA and San Diego than SF. (San Diego is so known for its persistent June marine layer that it has been dubbed "June Gloom.")

The fog here is created by the cold air over the Pacific and the warm air inland -- towards Sacramento. As we all learned in grade school, the cold air goes toward the warm. And that causes the fog to roll in. It generally burns off in the morning (earlier in the eastern part of town) and then rolls in again in the afternoon. Then you get to hear those lovely fog horns! And sleep peacefully without a/c.

Always, always, dress in layers when visiting SF. Union Square is in a protected area from the Bay and can feel quite warm. But Fisherman's Wharf can be quite breezy and certainly the ferry out to Alcatraz is "cold" even if we're having one of our few "heat" spells.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it cold in June?

wow - I live in a foggy part of the City. Last June the fog did not lift all month. The cold wind never stopped day or night. When I was at home during the day I kept the heater on until noon. It was somewhat heavier than a normal year. I had friends come to town and we went to see the ocean. They compared it to Scotland. There is a reason leather jackets are popular here year round.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it cold in June?

Our Mr Toad tour guide told us that June was as cold as east coast of Scotland can be in sea fog.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it cold in June?

Wont be packing my bikini then!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it cold in June?

Good grief, the average low (that's in the middle of the night) is 53 -- high is 66. You don't need wool overcoats -- but probably not a bikini either ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it cold in June?

So would a light jacket be ok, or maybe a cardigan? Or is it winter coat weather??

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it cold in June?

Winter coat?? Good heavens no ... not unless your coming from an equatorial environment! Would you wear a winter coat in 12-19C weather??

When coming to SF, no matter what the month, always, always plan on wearing layers and taking along a day pack or tote that you can stuff things in as it warms up. A windbreak or light sweater is a very good idea. Temps can swing a lot between Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf and the GG Bridge.

This is a very temperate climate: last I checked the calendar it is February and it must be 70 out there right now!

As I said originally, June seems cool here because people think "oh, summer in California, beach weather." Wrong. It's never (well, never say never, so we'll settle on rarely) beach weather here. But it's never snowing either ;-)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it cold in June?

In SF, if you're on or near the water, chances are you're going to want something more substantial than a light sweater or hoodie.

Edited: 17 February 2010, 00:02
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it cold in June?

I am getting a chuckle out of this thread :-)

Keep in mind that "cold" is a relative term and depends heavily upon what climate you live in and are used to.

If you live in a *very warm* climate (Florida), then SF will probably feel somewhat cold to you, especially because the dampness seems to make things "colder".

If you live in a cold climate (London), then SF will feel a bit chilly perhaps, and a bit damp.

But Sal is right, it just isn't what most people around the world think of as "California" weather.

;-)

-----

edit - smiley

Edited: 17 February 2010, 00:09