We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good value restaurants

birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
good value restaurants

We are going to be staying at the Hyatt Fishermans Wharf- at Eastertime- any suggestions for nearby good value- good atmosphere restaurants -we have teenage children so somewhere thats welcoming and buzzing(carmines in New York was a favourite of ours) - any ideas on Italian restaurants or others would be a big help -Thanks

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good value restaurants

You might try Steps of Rome Caffe _____it's a fun place.

Not quite Carmines but a nice casual place.

www.stepsofrome.com

birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good value restaurants

Thanks for your reply- looked pricey- I wanted a place perhaps locals use-nothing that looks fancy- just good food and atmosphere

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good value restaurants

There aren't a lot of places at Fisherman's Wharf that locals go to for that very reason. For the most part for value, you're going to have to get out of that area.

I work in that general area and can give you a few possibilities.

At Ghiradelli Square, there's a restaurant called McKormick and Kuleto's which is an overpriced seafood restaurant, BUT from 3-6PM, if you sit in the bar area (kids are ok there) they have a happy hour menu with a $2.95 half pound cheese burger and fries, $2.95 bowl of mussels, $1.95 sweet potato fries.. and more. 1 drink minimum per person (soda ok).

Up the street from Ghiradelli is Polk Street. Lots of reasonable food. There's Nick's Crispy Taco's which has tacos for $2-3 each. Funky place too, it's a club at night, but during the day it's a popular taco place.

There's Andy's Chinese food. I think it's pretty decent Chinese food and not touristy at all. They have lunch plates for $4-7, good variety options as well. Tai Chi Chinese food is a block away and also has a very reasonably priced menu.

Further up Polk Street... actually it's on Pine at Polk St, is Grubsteak. Actually owned by a Portuguese family, they have a good burger and interesting Portuguese items as well as typical American fare.

On Geary and Van Ness is Tommy's Joynt. It's sort of Hoff Brau style, lots of beers, but also good hearty foods. I like their Pastrami sandwhich, but they have roast turkey, even buffalo meat. Everything is reasonably priced and filling. Definitely good atmosphere.

Venturing even further down towards Civic Center is one of our more sketchy neighborhoods, called the Tenderloin. So I don't always recommend visitors to go there... but during the day it's fine. There's a LOT of cheap food in the Tenderloin. Saigon Sandwiches is my favorite. For about $3 you can get a very good sized sandwich. My favorite is called the Siu mai... which is a hot Vietnamese meatball sandwich. There's usually a line out the door with people making a trip down just for these. There are also lots of Vietnamese noodles (Pho) shops, pho is a staple for people on budgets with bowls usually under $5. There is Indian food as well as other bargains in the TL, but again, stick to daylight hours and be forewarned that it's not a good neighborhood.

I used to work at Pier 39 and found the best value of food... granted it's junk food... is at the deli counter at Safeway on Bay Street/Powell. Corndogs are $1.20, fries are $2 for a quarter pound... or about that. They have paninni sandwiches and other items like soups of the day etc...

I've always thought Italian is sort of over priced for what you get... Soto Mare is my favorite North Beach restaurant with excellent seafood/Italian food and true hole in the wall atmosphere. Not pricey, but not cheap. US Restaurant is not expensive and decent.. and has been around forever.

That should get your started...

England
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: good value restaurants

You'll maybe not find anywhere that matches Carmines in New York, (the meatballs and Chicken Parmigana there are amazing), but one Italian I recommend is Piazza Pelligrani (see reviews on this site) , only about 10 - 15 mins from the Hyatt.

Knuckles bar next to the hotel is has a good atmosphere, specially with teenagers, to have a drink and burger and watch the soccer games.

Mr P

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good value restaurants

I'm assuming you looked at Steps of Rome Caffe ____not Trattoria. There are two on the website.

if you think that is pricy then you could have a problem.

There is nothing like Carmines in town

Have you ever been to a Cheescake Factory ?

There is one in the Macy's building on Union Square.

www.thecheesecakefactory.com

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good value restaurants

Agreed, it might be best to give a price range so that we have a better idea.

One place might be Tommaso's in North Beach. Keep in mind that they don't take reservations, but if you go early the wait isn't long.

www.tommasos.com

birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good value restaurants

sorry oskar my mistake. yes i had gone on the wrong one. Caffe looks much better. Also, cheesecake factory looks great for my daughter who loves puddings. thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good value restaurants

Bocce Cafe on Grant and Green www.boccecafe.com is more suited for budget-conscious dining. They have piano entertainment on weekends.

Perry, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good value restaurants

Hey mister Chinn, Thank you so much for all the restaurant recommendations!

My daughter and I are visiting San Francisco in April and we will definitely try some of your suggestions. Thank you for posting.

Laurie

GB
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good value restaurants

Hi - why not try Vietnamese? We ate at Aux Delices (2327 Polk Street, Russian Hill) on one of the nights we were in San Francisco and it was the best meal we had in 2 weeks in the USA. It was bustling with a good atmosphere and was also doing a roaring trade in take away. Very reasonably priced too with friendly staff.