We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Question

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Question

I am considering a flight that goes through San Francisco's airport. It lands at the international terminal and the connecting flight takes off from terminal 1, 40 minutes later. I pulled up the terminal map and it looks kinda far, with trains running twice through the path. Do you have to get on a train? Can it be walked? Does the timing seem rushed? I will have carryone luggage I have to move.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Question

follow signs to the AirTrain, just don't get on BART, Terminal 1 is one stop from the International Terminal A and from inside that area you can walk to the gate you need. the trains run quickly. don't get on the line for the rental cars, you'll hear the announcement for terminals and garages and you want that one (see the arrows for the red line on the map are heading in the direction you want): www.flysfo.com/web/page/atsfo/airtrain/map/

40 min. is tight but workable with your boarding pass already in hand. depends on how long the security line is in the next terminal; you have to change terminals so that's why you go through security

Edited: 24 February 2010, 18:23
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Question

I think that's an awfully tight connection. If you're checking luggage, don't expect your bag to make the connection.

What day of the week, what time and airlines?

Edited: 24 February 2010, 20:55
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Question

You can take the AirTrain if you want, but Terminal 1 and the International Terminal are connected to each, and it only takes a few minutes to walk from one to the other.

40 minutes is a tight connection. I hope your arriving flight is domestic, because if it's coming in from overseas, odds are you and/or your bags won't make it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Question

Actually, Simba it's T3 and Intl that are connected.

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Question

I am looking at a flight on Virgin America from Seattle to San Francisco then onto South Florida. Going through security seems like it would make that impossible. I am not checking luggage. Why would an airline do that?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Question

Virgin America's gates are in the International Terminal ... gates A1-A12 (and apologies to Simba, it looks like the south side of the Intl terminal hooks up with T1).

I don't use Virgin America but I don't see where they use T1 at all. If you are just changing planes on VA, and no checked luggage, I see no problem with your connection time as long as your incoming flight is on time.

I'm assuming your SF to Florida flight is also VA. Have you checked the terminal map at www.flysfo.com ?

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Question

Yes my second flight to Ft. Lauderdale is with VA. I looked at the airport map but I was not sure. I made that mistake in Philadelphia and almost missed my connection.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Question

International Terminal - A is where all of Virgin America's gates are so you will not have to change terminals, when you enter the terminal, all A gates will be listed on the screens or you can ask the flight attendant if they know which gate.

I searched flight info at www.flysfo.com and International Terminal A is where you'll find flights departing to FLL on VA. You can try viewing the timetables page http://timetables.oag.com/sfo2/ to see that the terminals remain the same if you put in data for your arriving date and departing date; click link to "view" under the "details" column for the VA flights arriving and departing SFO from/to the airports you're using

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Question

When will you lern that I never make mistakes, Sal?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Question

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me, Simba!