We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maidstone
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

hi guys me and girlfriend r thinking of doin sanfrancisco and wondered is dining out and bar drinking cheaper than uk or more expensive??also is their cheaper bars like we have in uk???just basicly looking for bars with good atmosphere,maybe a bit of live music???thanks 4 help...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

yes, I would say cheaper options are here but you have to add a tip so it depends on the amount your order will cost you, yet, if you avoid the hotel bars then you won't usually pay $20 for a drink with top shelf alcohol. Happy hours are abundant here and I recommend you take advantage of the local knowledge about where to find those venues with cheap deals:

on this TripAdvisor list, look at #6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 22, 23 for visiting North Beach

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19840-North_Be…

Here's a Yelp list of some other hip and favorite Happy Hour spots yelp.com/list/happy-hour-spots-in-sf-san-fra…

SF Eater blog posts with "happy hour" mentions http://sf.eater.com/search.php?blogs=14%2C7&query=%22happy+hour%22

the iPhone will soon have an app to help you find Happy Hours: …westword.com/cafesociety/2010/03/introducin…

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

I have a cousin who before she lucked out and married a banker managed groups of fairly upscale restaurants for a British corporation both in London and California. It was her contention that it is pretty much a wash except of course for the higher liquor costs in England. She always thinks that American restaurants in general have bigger portions than English restaurants. She got her meals for free but when in California she found that with a big dinner she never felt like eating heavy the rest of the day. As an example... try the Cheesecake Factory. They serve more than just dessert. You seldom see anyone eat all their meal. You are guaranteed leftovers.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

I'd say cheaper. You can have a very nice meal at about $30-35 per person, and there are always cheaper options or more expensive. Let us know what price range and cuisine you'd be interested in and we can help you narrow down the choices.

Happy hour has been the thing here lately and you can definitely get some good pricing if you're interested in drinks and small bites to eat before 7pm.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

GTBob:

basing my comparisons on a visit to London a few years ago, and 3 visits during the intervening time to SF...............I don't see your cousin's comments of the food prices in SF as a wash at all with London, except for people who have a large income.......SF would definitely be cheaper, but Snow is right on with the comment regarding tipping........a lot of brits are not accustomed to the us procedure of 15-18-20 percent tipping, and need to know that the tip is actually a part of the salary for serving staff here.

As an aside.......Europeans hate American tipping styles, and we have a hard time breaking out of the above percentage mold when visiting abroad.

tptr

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

Definitely cheaper in the USA !!!

maidstone
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

thanks for all your help guys!!!

7. Re: price of dining out and bar prices compared 2 uk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 06:32