We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Hello again: I'm considering visiting Sausalito and Muir Woods while on our way to Sonoma from S.F. What will I miss by driving it rather than taking the ferry to Sausalito and then back to S.F.?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

I think driving is best , perhaps stopping at Muir Woods first as it tends to get crowded later in the day and is best first thing in the morning, then on the way back stopping at Sausalito for lunch. The ferry ride is nice, but if you want a really interesting boat trip, take the Blue & Gold tour boat.

Edited: 14 March 2010, 01:03
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Well obviously you miss the views of first the Ferry Building (assuming you're using a Golden Gate Transit Ferry; departure on a Blue and Gold Ferry is considerably less moving) and then San Francisco receding, then the Bay itself, and finally the approach to Marin County and Sausalito. Less tangible, if driving, whoever's behind the wheel doesn't get to see a good deal of anything except car taillights, the road itself, and road signs as driving on the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bridge itself, and then the roadway into Sausalito all require a higher level of attention to driving than on a generic highway because of lane and roadway width, bicycle traffic on the roadway to Sausalito, and hundreds of other driving visitors who are pointing, gawping at the views and paying less attention to their driving than they should be.

Edited: 14 March 2010, 01:13
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Whew, caffiend..

My answer is.

If you have time in our San Francisco trip to visit Sausalito via ferry and back, then do it.

If not, do it on the way to Sonoma by crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and watching for the signs. Shop a little, if you like, get an open air table with a view of the city and have something...coffee...etc.

If you are going to the Healdsburg part of Sonoma County, then don't take the time for Muir Woods. Visit Armstrong Grove Redwoods in Guerniville while you are there. No crowds, no tour buses, larger acreage.

Or, where ever you are in Sonoma County you could visit it and make a circle back to the city.

I don't remember your itinerary.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Wow! Thanks everyone.

Caffiend: My poor husband may be getting the short end of the stick, it seems, as he'd be the one driving! Ah well, perhaps a nice glass of California wine at the end of the day would be reward enough? I'll show him your post and let him decide what he wants to do.

No ferries from S.F. to Sausalito with the capacity to carry cars then?

Puter: Thanks for the advice regarding Muir Woods. I've posted another thread with a tentative itinerary.

I have to find a hotel for one night in Sonoma County. Any suggestions for a best bet for a reasonably priced hotel in the area? Under $200.00 with taxes and fees would be nice. I have other hotel questions on my itinerary post.

I appreciate the time you're taking with all my questions. We're celebrating a milestone and I want this trip to be great.

Again, Thanks everyone. You're the best.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

<<No ferries from S.F. to Sausalito with the capacity to carry cars then? >>

There are no car ferries on the SF Bay.

There is a tour from SF of Muir that leaves you off at Sausalito for a ferry ride back.

I posted on your other thread that I thought that Paso Robles might be a better wine area if you intend to head south anyway.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

Ramblin Sal wrote:

~~ There is a tour from SF of Muir that leaves you off at Sausalito for a ferry ride back. ~~

Maybe we can do this the last day of our trip before we have to head to the airport.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

I'll ask any further questions I may have on my 'itinerary' thread so my screen name isn't plastered all over your great forum and the information is contained in one place. Thanks.

8. Re: Best Way to Sausalito from S.F.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 06:18