We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a place, now nervous...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Booked a place, now nervous...

Hi,

my husband and I (and our 9 month old) will be in San Francisco early May. We booked a vacation rental (so we could have a seperate bedroom, kitchen, etc. - and good price). It is in Potrero Hill (22nd ave.). I am just a bit nervous now after reading a few posts about Potrero Hill saying it is not convenient to go to touristy places by public transportation...Is it really the case? The place is booked and paid so i'm a bit nervous...Any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Sorry, i meant that it is on De Haro street, close to the corner of 22nd street. Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Not the best place to stay to take advantage of the quicker rail lines or most frequent bus lines, but the #19 bus does run straight to Market Street and on to the Bay toward the far end of Fisherman's Wharf.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it looks like the #19 runs about every 20 minutes. To compare, if you were to stay in a hotel near Market Street, the subway usually runs every 3-10 minutes. So, as long as you know the schedule of what's close, you won't waste time waiting.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

I don't think it is a convenient location, about a 3 mile one way walk to Union Square. Of course it is served by Muni bus, but you might have to transfer or walk part way. I would prefer a hotel on or near Union Square even without the separate bedroom and kitchen. Some hotels do offer a microwave and refrigerator in the room and most hotels offer suites, although at extra cost.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Sounds like this place:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p194430

It's close to the Anchor Steam Brewery, but a bit far from most other tourist attractions. 18th Street is the main shopping street in that neighborhood, with a few very nice restaurants, a bookstore, and a great coffee house (Farley's). You can see in the photos the distance from downtown. It's still very easy to get a bus to other areas of town. It should be very sunny there. If you like walking, it will be great.

Here's a guide to Potrero HIll from SFGate:

www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/potrerohill/

I would say this is a good place to get a feel for a "real" San Francisco neighborhood.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 21:43
Ottawa
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks Wellvis, you're encouraging :) (that is the rental by the way) Thanks for the guide to Potrero Hill too, looks really useful!

We dont mind taking the bus, or the BART (if we can connect to that somewhere), i guess we'll just have to make sure we have the schedule with us.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

No, not ideal but I'm sure you can make it work. You're right, there isn't a whole lot of public transportation out there and it'll definitely take some effort to get to the tourist sites and downtown. While it may be three miles away, it wouldn't be a pleasant walk.

I take the #19 in the other direction and the bus is somewhat infrequent (every 25 minutes if you're lucky) and can pick up some unsavory types on the way to Civic Center/Tenderloin. But it's not that bad though..

18th street has some restaurants, as Dogpatch.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 22:26
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Well, you've gone and booked it, so no use crying over spilled milk. But this won't be the easiest or most convenient place to be staying (especially with a young'un) as you'll be walking quite a bit to/from bus stops, etc. Nor will you find taxis cruising around.

At least it's a safe enough neighborhood. Next time, ask us first. It may be a "good deal" but there is a reason for that.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

Just FYI,

BART is not a city-wide transportation system. It runs from the airport to the city, then down Market Street (underground) and crosses under the Bay in a tunnel to various locations in the East Bay.

The SF public transportation system is good, and, as Wellvis said, you will have a 'neighborhood' experience in the city.

Don't worry, be happy. You will have a great visit.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

shm - The #19 Polk bus stops at your corner and will get you to Market Street where you can transfer to the other lines as needed, or you can take it all the way to Fisherman's Wharf area. The schedule is here

transit.511.org/schedules/index.aspx…

It is a quite hilly area, it should be quiet and safe for you. Since you have a little one, you probably won't be out partying into the night then looking to walk back. If you are out and it feels late, just get a cab. You probably will not use BART. Do look into getting a MUNI passport for unlimited bus rides.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked a place, now nervous...

TTTT, if someone came to TA and asked what we thought of visitors staying at DeHaro and 22nd, I would say yes or no.

Yes if you are a writer, artist, inventor, etc. and want an out-of-the-way place to work and will not be doing the tourist stuff; or if you are changing your identity and starting a new life and want your spouse, employer, or creditors to have to work at finding you.

No if this is a first-time visit, if you want to be near the major visitor sites, if you'd like convenient public transit, if you want to park a car (most homes do not have extra garage space), if you have very little ones who will need strollers or carrying.

Since it's a couple months away, is there a possibility of cancelling and getting most of your payment back?

If not, as others have said, make the most of it. A couple of pluses: This is a "real" San Francisco neighborhood where actual people live. It's in the "Sun Belt," far inland where the fog usually doesn't reach. If there's access to a yard, it will be nice to have an occasional picnic supper. Since it's a hilly area, depending on which way the house faces, you might have a fabulous view of either the City skyline or the Bay. And last but not least, do you remember the old TV show "Streets of San Francisco"? This is where Karl Malden's character lived. It may have actually been on DeHaro, or one of the parallel streets, where the widowed Lt. Mike Stone shared a house with his daughter. If you recall, he always found a parking space right in front, but regular people won't.