We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART to Hotel Triton

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
285 reviews
Save Topic
BART to Hotel Triton

We plan on taking the BART from OAK and will be staying at the Hotel Triton. Which stop should we get off -- Montgomery or Powell? How long and challenging is the walk from the BART to the hotel (hills??)? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Triton
Hotel Triton
2,006 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

I actually think Montgomery is closest, but not by much. It's almost 50/50. From either stop there is a little bit of an uphill schlep, but nothing major.

If you go up Montgomery and hang a left on Bush, it's pretty flat, there is just a slight hill on the last block and the hotel will be on your left at Grant.

The key is to make sure you come up out of the subway at the Montgomery exit. There are lots of exits and some will put you further away. There's also a crazy tunnel that leads onto a second exit at Montgomery and I'm not sure I've actually seen an elevator at the far end, just stairs. So you want the Montgomery St. Exit that is at the corner of Market Street. Here's a link to a station map for reference: http://www.bart.gov/stations/mont/map.aspx

I believe it's the Wells Fargo exit that takes you down that tunnel (that you don't want).

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

We got off at Montgomery there is no elevator or moving staircase that were saw and that means you will have to carry your bags/cases up the stairs. It was a 10-15 mins walk to the Triton with the last couple of blocks being on an uphill gradient, nothing too much to worry about but it did cause me to break into a sweat while dragging my bag behind me as well - but I''m not the fittest person on the planet :-) I just kept telling myself it would be downhill on the way back :-)

Bedford,Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

We were there in both the Powell and Montgomery stations last week and we did not have to carry our bags up or down the stairs. We used the escalator in one and the elevator in the other. I think you should get off at the Montgomery station and go up Montgomery to Bush and turn left. Hotel Triton is right where the uphill climb starts so you won't have much of a struggle this way.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Triton
Hotel Triton
2,006 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

As pointed out the difference in distance between these two stations and your hotel is minimal. That said, I'd also vote for Montgomery for two reasons.

1) I think it's just a little bit less of an uphill or more accurately, the elevation change is more even. You still climb about as far uphill (and it isn't much, particularly by SF standards), just think it is spread more evenly over your entire walk. (How you would walk from Powell could negate this somewhat, but might make the walk a little longer.)

2) I think the Montgomery walk may be a little less crowded; making it a little easier to navigate. Time of day will have some influence on this, but the area right around the Powell Street Station and Union Square can be crowded with all the tourists, shoppers, cable car riders, etc (in addition to locals if it's rush hour). Montgomery Station area to your hotel will probably be less crowed unless it's rush hour. Think this will just make the schelp with your luggage a little bit easier.

Once you're there and aren't lugging luggage, I'd say use which ever station you want.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and expertise. It has been most helpful.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

A note about the escalators/elevators: it's true that depending on time of day, you may not find an escalator going in the direction you'd like at all stations. They tend to go up in the morning and eventually switch to down in the later evening. Not all stations have the up and down escalators right next to one another.

And visitors who came last year were subject to a lot of out of service elevators as Muni was retrofitting and upgrading them. However, unless you hear it stated by the streetcar driver that an elevator is out, which is much more rare as the upgrade process is complete, assume you might just have to track down where it is. It can be a good idea to just step aside and let the crowds pass by to get your bearings.

Reminds me of a trip I took to London where I asked my English friend how handicapped people navigated the tube stations. He told me there wasn't really a need to retrofit the stations because there weren't that many handicapped passengers (and how could there be if they couldn't use the services?!). And anyway, he went on, it wouldn't be cost effective to retrofit stations that were built in Victorian times.

Our next stop on that European jaunt was Rome, were we took an elevator in the Coliseum!

7. Re: BART to Hotel Triton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 05:19