We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, NC
10 posts
Save Topic
Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

We will be arriving in San Francisco on September 30, 2010 after 3 nights in YNP. I have not decided on a hotel yet but know we are going to stay in Union Square area for 3 nights. We will be dropping off the rental car when we get into the City. We are travelling for our honeymoon! I would like suggestions on how best to plan out the sites we really want to see without jumping from one side of town to the other.

Must See/Do:

Alcatraz (night tour)

Bike across Golden Gate Bridge/Sausalito

Chinatown

Lombard Street

Ferry Building

Golden Gate Park

Coit Tower/Filbert Steps

I open to any suggestions as to other things we shouldn't miss.

We fly out of SFO on Sunday, October 3 at 10:25 pm. So it was my thought to check-out of our hotel on Sunday AM and pick up a rental car. We would like to see Muir Woods and some of the coastline and possibly some of Wine Country. I need suggestions of what to do/see that day out of the City since we will have a car.

Thanks in advance for the help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

one 1/2 day can cover Coit Tower/Filbert Steps and Lombard Street

one 1/2 day can cover Bike across Golden Gate Bridge/Sausalito

one 1/2 day can cover Ferry Building and Chinatown - you can do Alcatraz at night the same day

one 1/2 day for Wine Country (not same day as your flight because it is a bit tiresome to deal with finding the wineries, having tastings--it is dehydrating if you drink each tasting instead of tossing it in the bucket as well as if you are stopping for lunch and driving all the way back to SFO for a long flight.)

one 1/2 day for Golden Gate Park can be done if you start visit the same day as your flight and then go to Muir Woods. pack a lunch to have in the woods.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

If you want to see things in Golden Gate Park (Conservatory of Flowers, deYoung museum, California Academy of Sciences) I think you'll need more than 1/2 day.

Even if you're not into art, the observation deck at the deYoung is worth checking out (and is free), so is the sculpture garden (ditto).

The scond flight of Impressionists works on loan from the Musee d'Orsay will have just opened. It will be ticketed and only the first flight is currently on sale but watch the website if you are interested: www.famsf.org/deyoung/exhibitions/index.asp

The Academy alone can take 3+ hours: www.calacademy.org

Wilmington, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am working on a sample itinerary and will come back for advice.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

Fair amount of overlap, might want to take a look at the comments on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k351818…

hlo

5. Re: Help with 4 day SF Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18