We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shows and 50s diners?

england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
best shows and 50s diners?

hey can someone please recommend some of the best places to catch a really good show best theatre etc?

also are there any 50s diners which are good?

thankyouuu.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

Mel's Diner on Van Ness is okay. It is not an authentic 50's diner, that has been there since the 50's, but it is in the style of a 50's diner.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

the most well known 50s style diner is Mel's Drive-In. www.melsdrive-in.com/ - I think it is a bit better than Lori's Diner, which you'll see in several Union Square locations. The nearest Mel's around Union Square is on Mission St. @ 4th / 5th St.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

As far as a show, Beach Blanket Babylon is a truly "on in SF" experience. http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/

england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

thanks alot :D

& the diners look ace!! can't wait!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

Fog City Diner, is good, not a traditional 50's diner, but really good food by the bay bridge.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

There are at least two Lori's diners. I would avoid them and go to Mels. I find the food at Lori's less than acceptable and the service lacking.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

pan - See

theatrebayarea.org/whatsplaying/…

for a listing of theatres of all sizes and types in the area. For a 50s diner that is authentic and has good food, there is the St Francis Fountain on 24th Street at York in the Mission District. On Sunday mornings there is always a line of young hipsters there. I like Mel's too.

Edited: 12 April 2010, 23:50
8. Re: best shows and 50s diners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:17