We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please comments on my hotel search,

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please comments on my hotel search,

Hello

Did a search of hotel around Union Square, budget price ($85,before tax). I will be staying for 5 nights,late June/10. Single traveler, looking for clean,and comfy room, most likely to have a good sleep of course, shower, day tourist, shower again, and night tourist.

Hotel Andrews

Grant Plaza

Stratford Hotel

Powell Hotel

Baldwin Hotel

Union Square Plaza

Hotel Astoria

Grant Hotel

Spaulding Hotel

Park Hotel

Appreciate comment on people who stayed at those hotels

Thank You

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

any location facing the street to cable car lines is very noisy; Geary Street is very noisy. Hotel Andrews may be best for that price.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

If you are willing to go the "bidding" route via Priceline or Hotwire you will very likely be able to get a much nicer place for a similar price. Many people get the Parc 55 for $85-95 a night.

Check www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com for lots of information.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

If you don't want to go through the hassle of the bidding route via Priceline or Hotwire to get a good deal on a hotel you don't know about in a location you aren't sure about I would choose, out of your list, the Andrews. We stay there when conventions in town lock out our usual choices.

This is a very small and charming and quirky hotel with a great staff in a great location, near Union Square but away from noise. It has a small but very attractive and comfortable lobby, with a couple of wing chairs and a comfortable sofa and newspapers scattered around, and large windows where you can watch the passing parade.

You might think you are in Europe.

It has one of the best small restaurants in the city, Fino's, which does upscale northern Italian cuisine. I am addicted to their Pasta Puttanesca and I love the atmosphere and service.

Your room will be small and the bathroom miniscule, but you will have a TV and it will be quiet.

And in the morning, all you have to do is open your door and in the hallway will be a breakfast spread...coffee, of course, and fresh fruit and rolls and....and, which you can bring back into your room while you watch the local news on your TV.

And here is the topper...the history of it.

http://www.andrewshotel.com/history.html

How can you resist?

The others are just "budget hotels". This has history and character.

This comes from someone who most often stays at the Donatello, for comfort and space and modern conveniences. Otherwise at a real San Francisco hotel...the Andrews.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

I agree, unless you go the priceline bidding way then I would choose the Andrews.

Be prepared for a small room but it is a step above the budget properties on your list.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

Ok Thank you

About hotel Baldwin ?

Lets say I bring my budget to $150/night ?

Merci

Sylvain

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

If you are bringing your budget up to that then you should look at the Chancellor.

I would think you could get the Chancellor (depending on your exact dates) for less that your new budget.

It is a very good boutique hotel in a perfect location right on Union Square_____check out the Hotel reviews.

www.chancellorhotel.com

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

I have check the Chancellor for my dates and I saw for $112/night before taxes.

Is it worth it ? is the area noisy like some people say.

Merci

Sylvain

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

I've stayed at the Baldwin & would stay again, can't compare it with the Andrews or Chancellor.

On your list, I've also stayed at Grant Plaza and either Grant Hotel or Union Square Plaza (forget which and don't have time to confirm it right now), I'd consider them all pretty comparable and would probably make my selection based on price. Maybe a slight tilt to the Baldwin based on a good service experience.

Regarding your budget in general and your particularly in the context of increasing it, don't forget the ~15% hotel tax. Thus, your $85/night room will really be closer to $100/night and that $115/night room? It will be a little more than $130.

Not really anything you can do but plan on it and it is something you need to be aware of since over 5 nights it will add up.

hlo

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

The Chancellor is head and shoulders above the other hotels on the list.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please comments on my hotel search,

You will have no problems with noise at the Chancellor_____just ask for a quiet room and they will accomodate you.

As Puter said, it is a far better quality hotel than the others.