We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast Recommendations

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast Recommendations

My family will be in SF for a weekend in late June staying in the Financial district (Omni Hotel). I would appreciate recommendations for places for breakfast. Our children are 3 & 6 and are early risers.

Thanks in anticipation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Well as you know, the Omni is in the Financial District and so there are lots of "coffee and muffin" type places which are open early as they cater to the office workers (at least M-F).

Although I like Omni's, this wouldn't be my choice of hotels for visitors, especially not with small children as it definitely caters to business travelers.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Specialty's http://www.specialtys.com/ Sansome St. at Clay Open Mon-Fri 6am-6pm. Everything is baked on premises; great egg sandwiches and quiches; amazing breakfast pastries, breads, and salads.

there's a deli open Mon-Fri. on 124 Montgomery between Bush & Sutter. Open 5:30 AM - 3:30 PM. Great breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, and frittatas as well as all the general bread, fruit, juice items; seating is up the stairs in the back of the restaurant.

La Boulange Bakery in North Beach http://laboulangebakery.com/ 543 Columbus & Green. Brunch served all day.

Cafe Venue (closed weekends) 70 Leidesdorff (off of California/Pine between Battery & Montgomery) www.cafevenue.com

Boulette Larder cafe in the SF Ferry Building on the Embarcadero at the foot of Market St. (pricey) http://www.bouletteslarder.com/tableMenu.html

for the weekend brunch, you can hop on a #2 or 3 MUNI bus -- 5-10 min. ride -- on Sutter & Kearny/Grant across from Banana Republic, get out at Taylor St., walk downhill one block to Post & Taylor for the Honey Honey Cafe & Crepery (it will seem very crowded but tables turnover really quickly - you pay at the counter and take a number flag to your table and they take cards, serve mimosas, too) http://www.honeyhoneycafeandcrepery.com/

there is a food court in the Embarcadero Center -- buildings at the very end near the Hyatt Regency, but I'm not sure of their weekend hours. Boudin Bakery Cafe is over there but is not open on weekends.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Hmm....these places would be okay for me, but am not sure for a 3 and 6 year old. Also note that OP will be here on a weekend, so the financial district places mentioned will not work.

I don't know that area, so can't be of any help.....anymore ideas?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Oops, sorry, missed the "weekend" comment. Well, as O/Snow's post details so well, this is not a with-it neighborhood on weekends. While it may be expensive, I might just bite the bullet and do room service in the interest of time.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

I think that is what I would do as well. Then when you are out and about you can find a great place where the kiddos will enjoy lunch.

Have a good trip.

Central CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

We have a "List" of fabulous restaurants & personal experiences that we've collected recently & for breakfast in SF, here are just a few - "Sears", "Lori's Diner", "Nob Hill Grille" & if you want to cross the Golden Gate, make sure to order the pancakes @ The Lighthouse in Sausalito. Have a great trip! :)

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Mama's! This place is a gem. They are closed on Monday and they are cash only. I love this place and can't wait to go back in June.

You'll find Mama's right on Washington Square

http://www.mamas-sf.com/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Did you notice that Fingal33 has children ages 3 and 6?

Much as Mama's may be wonderful for breakfast, *I* wouldn't stand in line with them to eat breakfast at Mama's, which would be a requirement.

Would you?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

Nob Hill Grill, at Hyde & Pine, is not too far from the Omni, though it's over a steep hill, you may want to take a bus or cable car. It's straightforward good food, fine with kids.

Another option on the weekend might be to go into Chinatown (a couple of blocks from the Omni) and go for dim sum. I don't know the dim sum places there, Louie's gets good recommendations. Those places will of course have tons of kids, and the ones that still bring the carts around are fun.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast Recommendations

wanderer writes>>....Louie's gets good recommendations. ....<<

Although there _may_ be a couple of small formica-topped tables stuffed to the side, Louie's is almost purely a take-out place. I can't think of many better ways to torture hungry 3 & 6 year olds than to show them food, and then stuff it into boxes and tell them that they need to go somewhere else to eat it.

Friends do rave about Louie's mantou.